The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with ticks

..and not only Lyme disease is of very GREAT concern. Had not thought to spray my vehicle and have never tried that particular product, George..thanks for posting the list..
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***AM 2nd Shoreline RC 2014
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Pants tucked into all rubber (lacrosse burly type) knee boots goes a very long way to solving the problem. Learned this once years ago following a friend around the marsh in the summer. He was in sneakers and got wet, which was fine in that aspect, but he had about 100 ticks on him and I had two. I was wearing knee boots tucked in.

Tucked in knee boots and repellent on the pant legs takes care of most problems.

Going the extra mile can save you a lot of problems though.

Good post George.
    Darrin Greene

[QUOTE=DarrinGreene;1181005]Pants tucked into all rubber (lacrosse burly type) knee boots goes a very long way to solving the problem. Learned this once years ago following a friend around the marsh in the summer. He was in sneakers and got wet, which was fine in that aspect, but he had about 100 ticks on him and I had two. I was wearing knee boots tucked in.

Tucked in knee boots and repellent on the pant legs takes care of most problems.

Didn't work. That's the way I was dressed....down the boots up the trousers regards!

Thinking about buying stock in the chemical company that manufactures Permethrin.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

[QUOTE=paul young;1181030]
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Pants tucked into all rubber (lacrosse burly type) knee boots goes a very long way to solving the problem. Learned this once years ago following a friend around the marsh in the summer. He was in sneakers and got wet, which was fine in that aspect, but he had about 100 ticks on him and I had two. I was wearing knee boots tucked in.

Didn't work. That's the way I was dressed....down the boots up the trousers regards!

Thinking about buying stock in the chemical company that manufactures Permethrin.-Paul
    That's some BAD tick infestation Paul.
    Darrin Greene

Last year at the end of April (25th & 26th I think), I ran 4 dogs in the Long Island Field Trial Retriever Club HRC event. We ran both Saturday and Sunday, 6 Seasoned tests and 2 Finished tests. Dog ages from 4 years to 13 years. I have used FRONTLINE PLUS and HEARTGUARD forever on my dogs, very seldom do anything for myself, clothing, sprays/chemicals, etc.

Dog results...... Finished - 2 Fails, Seasoned - 2 Fails, 4 Passes. Seasoned Title for Magic and 2 Passes for my 13 year old Murphy.

Bug results...... NO CREEPY CRAWLEYS ON ANY OF US REGARDS....... Perhaps the dry spring, but I was told they had more water than in recent history.

As always " your mileage may vary"

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    ..and not only Lyme disease is of very GREAT concern. Had not thought to spray my vehicle and have never tried that particular product, George..thanks for posting the list..
    Judy, the product is great. I have used it. However I would not spray the inside of my car with it
    If you do get it, read the bottle.
    I bought it thru Amazon.
    Freya

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ward View Post
    Last year at the end of April (25th & 26th I think), I ran 4 dogs in the Long Island Field Trial Retriever Club HRC event. We ran both Saturday and Sunday, 6 Seasoned tests and 2 Finished tests. Dog ages from 4 years to 13 years. I have used FRONTLINE PLUS and HEARTGUARD forever on my dogs, very seldom do anything for myself, clothing, sprays/chemicals, etc.

Dog results...... Finished - 2 Fails, Seasoned - 2 Fails, 4 Passes. Seasoned Title for Magic and 2 Passes for my 13 year old Murphy.

Bug results...... NO CREEPY CRAWLEYS ON ANY OF US REGARDS....... Perhaps the dry spring, but I was told they had more water than in recent history.

I agree; last year they weren't too bad. 2 years ago------YIKES!!!!!

There wasn't a dry eye in the house when Murphy got his ribbons. Congratulations, and it was great to meet you!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ward View Post

There was an article in a Long Island newspaper by someone who did some kind of tick survey. He did some sort of tick count and reported that there were far fewer ticks than he had counted before.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Cuomo is right. New York is no place for a conservative. Way too many ticks.

I am bumping this because the HT/FT season is here.

Also, LIRFTC does have HRC Tests next weekend and everyone who wants to come here should not be discouraged. No reason to miss out!
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."