The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with ticks

I'd like to put in a plug for NexGard chewable. I used this for the first time on two of my dogs this past month.

Every year in April, we attend a highly tick invested hunt test. Last year, I found literally 45- 50 small ticks crawling in dog's hair and about 4 that attached on each dog. That was on Advantix II, I think it was called.

This year I used NexGard one week before the test. Found about 10 doped up ticks on each dog, none had attached. The next day, I checked their beds and found about 8 dead as doornail ticks on each bed. Never did have any attached.

That's a winner in my book.

I think what it takes to kill ticks is regional (depending upon their resistance). In the north east we have a lot of ticks and they have become resistant to chemicals that kill them elsewhere. I live about 5 hours east of th OP and our infestation is not as bad. However I have had to change my preventative for the dogs and change what I do depending upon where I train. I know many people who are debilitated from Lymes. Nothing to mess with.
    Coppertop's Captain Kirk CD MH WCX CCA VC (2004-2011) (Kirk)
    Gaylan's Roddenberry a la Mode SH WCX CCA (Kira)
    Top Flight's Cayuga Klingon SH, WCX (Worf)
    Coppertop's Trill of a Lifetime WC (Dax)

Thanks
    I hunted Minnesota last fall in October. Had one dog contract a tick borne dz. and was on Doxie for 45 days. The other dog we treated for 20 days as a prophylactic.
    The worst day, I know I picked off at least 100 ticks off the dogs and myself. Even after a 5" snow the ticks were still bad. They were in the car, in the dog kennels, everywhere.
    Thanks
    Don

And I thought ticks were bad down here. Sounds like y'all have it much worse.

My dad has always said I'm a magnet to ticks. I've had many on me over the years. Typically I spot or feel them crawling before they ever attach. But I have had some get in some very unpleasant areas.

We had the coldest winter on record this year and my only comforting thought throughout was that the ticks would suffer, maybe even disappear. First warm stretch and they're out and thriving! Them and cockroaches are bombproof. I can't believe that as recently as ten years ago we had absolutely no ticks around here.

I'll look into NexGard.

Someone recomended a product for the dogs called Vectra, anyone have experience?
    Mark

I use Frontline and seems to work

I use Frontline and it doesn't.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    We had the coldest winter on record this year and my only comforting thought throughout was that the ticks would suffer, maybe even disappear. First warm stretch and they're out and thriving! Them and cockroaches are bombproof. I can't believe that as recently as ten years ago we had absolutely no ticks around here.

I'll look into NexGard.

Someone recomended a product for the dogs called Vectra, anyone have experience?
    Yes, I use Vectra. Ticks don't have immunity to it yet. It also keeps deer flies off, really everything. This is what my vet now recommends.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I've found a lot of ticks so far this year. I was trying to identify a few that I found, and located this website. It is really helpful in identifying, you can submit what you've found, and they have an area with current tick activity, showing the most prevalent ticks at that time and area based on reports they receive. The website is tickencounter.org . It is run by the Univ of Rhode Island.

I've had a hard time finding Vectra, so I've gone to using the Seresto collars. They seem to work fairly well.

Thank you Erin. I found one tick on my dog and it was dead. I find that some attach but they die. I use the Vectra and think it is awesome.

So far, no ticks on me.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."