RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Shedding Control

4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Twin Willows Labs 
#1 ·
Quick Question: I have a 1 year old yellow male that seems to be a shedding machine; are there any options to help control shedding? I've seen different soaps, supplements and foods that state reduces shedding but figure it’s just a sales pitch. Don’t know if it matters but he’s always been on a Pro Plan Sport diet. :confused:

#4 ·
lol. That's a good one. I think they have brushes to help reduce the shedding. They also have treatments or something like that that they offer at pet stores but I don't have any experience with it. Just go with the yellow carpet idea. May also wanna invest in some yellow clothing. Thank God you didn't buy that pink lab

#3 ·
Get a furminator for the underhair and some kind of rubber block "brush" for the guard hair.

#16 ·
I have a furminator. Although it is a great tool for removing the undercoat, the one I have broke in the handle under the rubber. We called Furminator and they will not replace it. We bought it online (Amazon) and they told us some online providers are selling couterfeits of thier product. They want us to ship it back so they can see if it is counterfeit ( I already know what they are going to say). Needless to say we are not happy with that. Find it hard to believe that Amazon would sell counterfeit products (maybe Im wrong) so I will use it until it completley breaks. I was thinking of cutting off the rubber over the handle and fixing it with epoxy. Like the product, but not happy with customer service.

#11 ·
back to this thread my YLM for the last 3 weeks has been shedding way more than usual. Hoping that he may just be blowing his coat but its not coming out in big chunks. Any other recommendations for keeping my wife sane with yellow hair everywhere????

#14 ·
We have 4 labs that all live in the house for the most part. The Furminator works wonders on our yellows. Also, the black dogs don't seem to be much better as soon as it warms up. A word of caution, you can over-brush with a deshedding tool to the point of making the coat too thin. A bath every once in a while seems to help too, although we usually don't bathe unless there's a reason other than shedding - skunks, rolled in manure/something dead, etc.

Light colored carpet that is already destroyed by 4 children helps hide the hair too...

#20 ·
Same issue here. I get the wrath of complaining but when I am home and hes shedding heavily he stays out during the day. But when she is home she feels sorry for him sleeping out in the sun without a care in the world and lets him in. Whos the sucker in that relationship? Pretty sure he has her hoodwinked.

#17 ·
If the dog is really blowing his coat the de-shedding bath at Petco worked on my Labrador. If your dog is like my other Labrador that just losses fur daily then the pet store de-shedding bath was a big waste of $$. It worked for one, but not the other. Swimming daily does not keep the fur totally under control, the pool guy told me one dog equals ten people. I then told him not to forget to thank the dogs every time he comes to my house. I use a wet Swiffer mop on my floors daily. I have not had carpets in many years.

Terri

#18 ·
How can you reduce shedding? Really ? It is a natural bi annual process that happens. most labs shed some all year long, but the main times are spring and fall. Brushing does not reduce the amount of shedding but can help with shorten the total amount time needed for the process to complete.

#21 ·
I bought a SleekEZ for my horses, and like it well ensough , that I bought another for the dog! It seems to do a good job.... Honestly, I think it is a SUPER fine hack saw blade with tiny tiny teeth...with a wooden handle www.sleekez.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.