The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dock Dogs Event

Default Dock Dogs Event

I'm posting up my gear at the NYS Sportsman's Expo this weekend and decided to enter Buck into the Dock Dogs event! I think it's going to be a fun thing to try! I've picked his favorite bumper out, which will really gear him up for the big leap! Anyone else try one of these events? How was it? How many dogs joined the competition? How many jumps does your dog get? big crowds? We're excited
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

Hey Bob, I think you and your dog will have a blast! I went to an event last summer, my first one and it was super fun. This was a new location for dock dogs so they did a 'beginner's seminar' on the morning of the first day which was nice, went over rules, let the dogs have some gradual practice, etc. Well worth it to attend one of those if you can. But they are a very rookie friendly organization so even without that, you'll be fine. There is a handler's meeting before each wave which you must attend, they give you the running order, and your dog gets two jumps per wave. Then you get unlimited practice between waves during the event down time. But even a fit dog gets tired from too many jumping (the rookies more so I'm told, my dog got 'cold tail' even though it was super hot, warm water and she had done a ton of swimming in the months prior - from the impact of landing I presume) so don't over do the practice jumps. The dogs get the best jumps by getting some height/hang time so time your throw just right at the right height for best results. I sucked at that part, haha!
    Find out who the event photographer is because it's cool to see your dog's pics afterwards, and make sure he is wearing a collar that will make him identifiable in photos, if you care about that.... all the black dogs look the same when they are distorted mid-air

Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

The event I attended was great fun. It was at Imlay City Michigan fair. You got to have a practice runs. I believe two or three tries and there was someone there to assist and explain the rules. There is a ladder / ramp for your dog to come out of the pool. This was not a problem for my fellow as we do agility. Jumping off the dock was not a problem either for him (19.5 ft) but for some dogs daunting! It looked like they were afraid and ended up jumping not very far. Lots of dogs and a big fair crowd. I would definitely do it again for fun!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

These events are lots of fun. Don't take it too seriously.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Awesome picture Erin, thanks for the replies everyone. This is just a fun thing for us to do to break up the work weekend! I'm excited he can jump in between waves for fun if we don't get to move on!

Thanks for the help!
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

It's a blast! My avatar photo is from a dock diving event. The dogs love love love it.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

You will have fun! I have jumped with Dock Dogs in Ontario as well as Ultimate Air Dogs Canada and went to UKC Premier last year and jumped there. Rudy loves it and the only rule is that he has to stay and wait at the end of the dock until I yell his release word.....then he shoots off like a torpedo! It's a fun way for him to blow off steam and exercise from all of the other things he does.

My little 19 inch standard poodle has a best jump of 24ft 2 inches. Most of his jumps are in the 20-22ft range, but I would have fun with him even if he only jumped 6 feet. The crowd is usually very encouraging and newbies are always welcomed.

Ultimate Air Dogs and UAD Canada are affiliated with UKC so if your dog is UKC registered you get a title from UKC.
    Rudy just launched.jpgRudy ultimate air.jpg
    UKC CH, URO3, UMJCH, UCA Karbits TNT Rudolph Valentino CDI, RAE, JH, Amer. CD, WC, PCA WC (x2), TT, CGN, HIC

Sounds like fun. Watch out for those Belgium Malinois.

L Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Bob, let me know when your ... I mean Buck is diving and I'll come route you both on. If Rosie wasn't recovering from raising 8 pups and trying to get her school girl figure back we'd join you.
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane SH ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".

Good thread...You all have fun and post pictures when ya get a chance. Success is measure in the joy that develops in our memories...As mention....It's a magic book of us in our journey with dogs at our side.