The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: The Question of Dew-Claws

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • I expect a breeder to remove them, and would not buy a dog with it's dew-claws intact

    112 42.26%
  • I prefer dew-claws to be removed, but would consider a breeding where they were left intact.

    87 32.83%
  • Dew-claws are not a consideration to me. It doesn't matter to me whether they are left intact or not

    25 9.43%
  • I would prefer dew-claws to be left intact and more breeders should consider this option.

    41 15.47%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Dew claw poll

  1. #31
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    while the majority of the commenters prefer them on
    the poll obviously does not reflect that
    as 80% prefering them removed (45% insisting upon it)
    And/Or

    44% would NOT consider purchasing a pup with dew claws intact,

    56% would.

    See?
    Last edited by Dustin D; 01-22-2014 at 02:45 PM.

  2. #32
    Senior Member thelast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    229

    Default

    While I prefer having them removed by the breeder, I would purchase a pup with them intact and have the removed at the first time they needed sedation due to an injury, while having hip x-rays or spay and neutering if I have no intention of breeding. Like I said in the other thread I have had my YLM tear the dewclaw, with his light colored nails it was never an issue keeping them trimmed short. So certainly wasn't caused by the nail being to long rather a hard charging dog going through brush who caught a branch and nearly tore all the tendons loose.
    Jesse

    HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    And/Or

    44% would NOT consider purchasing a pup with dew claws intact,

    56% would.

    See?
    but 32% of that 56 would no doubt have them pulled at first oppurtunity. if they didnt then there would be no reason to have that preference in the first place

    like my original quote said 80% PREFERRED them to be removed as per the wording of the second option.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    but 32% of that 56 would no doubt have them pulled at first oppurtunity.
    Where in option 2 did you read that?
    Last edited by Dustin D; 01-22-2014 at 05:39 PM.

  5. #35
    Member deadriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I am with Julie R. The stats show that for those of us that breed, it makes the most sense to continue to remove them and it fits with my own experiences on long, multi-day hunt trips. A few of the dogs that have traveled with us for OOS hunts have had dew claws intact and we had problems with 2 dogs with both feet dew claws torn. It took the dogs out of the last several days of hunt. That said, we have cuts around base of the nails on all the dogs also, but can usually let them keep hunting. The dew seems to be a more severe injury when it does happen. For many people, i would imagine it is not an issue. The minority opinion that adamantly oppose, i wonder how much of it is actually from a belief that is physically better with claws on, vs. not liking the practice from psychological. If anyone has multiple independent and peer reviewed journal articles, please post them. Citing one article is scientifically questionable and i would want to look at the stats and their method of statistical analysis to see if it pans out. Having published several scientific journal articles, i can say without a shadow of a doubt that most scientific debates have more than one side and their are publications that support and claim statistical significance for their view. Frankly, as i close in a doctorate and have read hundreds of peer reviewed articles, it is dis-enchanting how much bias exist in our science. I have even been told by a journal reviewer which citations i needed to add, all of which had one common author, and the citations were not even relevent for my article. I withdrew my submission and went to another journal. Scientific articles are great for digging up facts, but the statistical support and how they derived conclusions play a big part in how much i buy into the conclusions....

    i would love to see peer reviewed articles statistically comparing injury with and without. Everything comes at a price, so removal of dew claws probably increases some other risk. But having put dogs on the truck with torn dew claws and never had one develop foot problems, i hedge my bet on less injury without dew claws in 15 mi hunt days.
    "Dream big and dare to fail"

    "Leadership in Service"

  6. #36
    Senior Member cakaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    N Al.
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadriver View Post
    I am with Julie R. The stats show that for those of us that breed, it makes the most sense to continue to remove them and it fits with my own experiences on long, multi-day hunt trips. A few of the dogs that have traveled with us for OOS hunts have had dew claws intact and we had problems with 2 dogs with both feet dew claws torn. It took the dogs out of the last several days of hunt. That said, we have cuts around base of the nails on all the dogs also, but can usually let them keep hunting. The dew seems to be a more severe injury when it does happen. For many people, i would imagine it is not an issue. The minority opinion that adamantly oppose, i wonder how much of it is actually from a belief that is physically better with claws on, vs. not liking the practice from psychological. If anyone has multiple independent and peer reviewed journal articles, please post them. Citing one article is scientifically questionable and i would want to look at the stats and their method of statistical analysis to see if it pans out. Having published several scientific journal articles, i can say without a shadow of a doubt that most scientific debates have more than one side and their are publications that support and claim statistical significance for their view. Frankly, as i close in a doctorate and have read hundreds of peer reviewed articles, it is dis-enchanting how much bias exist in our science. I have even been told by a journal reviewer which citations i needed to add, all of which had one common author, and the citations were not even relevent for my article. I withdrew my submission and went to another journal. Scientific articles are great for digging up facts, but the statistical support and how they derived conclusions play a big part in how much i buy into the conclusions....

    i would love to see peer reviewed articles statistically comparing injury with and without.
    Everything comes at a price, so removal of dew claws probably increases some other risk. But having put dogs on the truck with torn dew claws and never had one develop foot problems, i hedge my bet on less injury without dew claws in 15 mi hunt days.
    Good post......
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

  7. #37
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    A few have mentioned that they have seen far more injuries to regular nails than dew claws. To me the reason for that is rather obvious. Regular nails are pounding the ground at every stride. Just shows which is actually functional.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Where in option 2 did you read that?
    it was an inference. if u prefer them to be removed then u have an opinion about them in a negative light. otherwise u would not care one way or the other and select option 3. thus that leads one to believe if you had the option for them to be removed (if dog was under anesthesia for any reason spay, neuter, injury, etc) then you'd prolly take advantage of the situation and have them removed

    dew claws are just weird in my opinion. it has been awhile since ive seen a dog with them. my sister brought her australian shepherd over and i was petting it and trying to teach it shake for her and i noticed the dew claws. they are just dangling and feel like u could brake them off with your pinky and thumb. the nail is like 3x longer and sharper than the rest and just feel weird. her vet told ger when she takes it in to get spayed that he would advise her to get dewclawed i said good for your vet and you should. its just going to get hung up on something or scratch someone.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Henlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    This is the video that convinced me that they ought to be kept on.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4XflsMEk-k
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

  10. #40
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    This is the video that convinced me that they ought to be kept on.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4XflsMEk-k
    This video has its own thread with 3 pages of discussion. I wasnt fully convinced

    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ew-claw-thread
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •