The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: The Question of Dew-Claws

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • I expect a breeder to remove them, and would not buy a dog with it's dew-claws intact

    112 42.26%
  • I prefer dew-claws to be removed, but would consider a breeding where they were left intact.

    87 32.83%
  • Dew-claws are not a consideration to me. It doesn't matter to me whether they are left intact or not

    25 9.43%
  • I would prefer dew-claws to be left intact and more breeders should consider this option.

    41 15.47%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: Dew claw poll

  1. #51
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    The wussification of America in action...
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I personally could care less about the issue.
    Just pointing out the direction in which we as humans are moving these days.

    Right or wrong? I don't know.
    That applies to a lot of issues including politically correct speech,
    accommodation of minority groups in schools,
    so called racial tolerance and a number of other topics.

    I guess future generations will ultimately either reap the benefits
    or pay the price for our slow migration leftward.

    ...Mkay there bud. That's enough internet for you today.

    We're talking about Dew Claws here. What are (you) talking about?

    scratchhead-1.gif



    /
    Last edited by Dustin D; 01-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    People used to think that tonsils and the appendix had no purpose. A lot of parents still circumsize their male infants because it "might" get infected, thinking that it has no function. Modern research says these assumptions are wrong.

    If you are going to ridicule people for wanting to leave dogs the way they are born, the burden is on you to prove that cutting them does no harm.
    no modern research says you are wrong. people still dont know what the appendix does. doctors and researchers still can't agree on its actual purpose.

    and circumsizing has been proven to be the healthier option. first off leads to less UTIs and other infections. on top of other benefits

    but that is another thread all together

  3. #53
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    no modern research says you are wrong. people still dont know what the appendix does. doctors and researchers still can't agree on its actual purpose.

    and circumsizing has been proven to be the healthier option. first off leads to less UTIs and other infections. on top of other benefits

    but that is another thread all together
    Have you actually read original research about these issues? Or are you looking at some Dr. Mom website that tells you what you want to hear?

    Do you think we should circumcise our dogs, too?
    Renee P

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Have you actually read original research about these issues? Or are you looking at some Dr. Mom website that tells you what you want to hear?

    Do you think we should circumcise our dogs, too?
    Without pulling out my wife's textbooks (which i can do if you please when i get home)

    webMD:
    Benefits:
    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).


    Risks (only inherent risks are at the time of surgery no lasting effects):


    Pain
    Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
    Irritation of the glans
    Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
    Risk of injury to the penis


    WebMD:
    The function of the appendix is unknown. One theory is that the appendix acts as a storehouse for good bacteria, “rebooting” the digestive system after diarrheal illnesses. Other experts believe the appendix is just a useless remnant from our evolutionary past. Surgical removal of the appendix causes no observable health problems.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Terri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    625

    Default

    I voted to remove the dew claws. I think a lot of dogs who are injured in agility have poor structure. Did the dew claw blamed injuries really result because of no dew claw or was it poor structure?

    Terri

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    110

    Default

    O My Goodnesss!!!!!!!!!!! Too many pages, with no resolution......

    In my opinion, Dew claws obviously have a purpose, and are used by dogs. 80 % of dogs in America could probably keep theirs and have no issues, because they're in pet homes or in homes where those dew claws come in handy, like in agility dogs. In the rest of the working dogs, like represented here, I'd say it's a personal decision, to be based on experience with dogs having dew claw injuries, their frequency and severity, and the ability of that injury to heal appropriately. I don't think it makes sense to take them off just because people think they'll get hurt. If the dew claw is getting ripped off, I'm guessing there's probably a high likelyhood that the leg itself would've been injured in the same situation. Bottom line though, I think working retrievers are possibly much more likely to get them snagged while running.... It all comes down to a personal decision.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    Without pulling out my wife's textbooks (which i can do if you please when i get home)

    webMD:
    Benefits:
    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).


    Risks (only inherent risks are at the time of surgery no lasting effects):


    Pain
    Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
    Irritation of the glans
    Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
    Risk of injury to the penis
    .
    This is so not the place for this argument, but I have to point out (since I've had to research this issue, lol) that WebMD's information on this subject is not very comprehensive, and there are many risks due to having this surgery that are not represented in your quote... One risk of the surgery that isn't listed, is "DEATH". Yes, it does happen....more frequently than docs would like to admit., though thankfully, that is quite rare. The "DEATH" side effect is absent when not choosing this cosmetic surgery. One cannot die from not having it done for cosmetic reasons. There are also side effects that happen after surgery, which WebMD hasn't mentioned at all.

    Overall, WebMD is pretty good on most things, but not on everything. There's better info out there.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
    This is so not the place for this argument, but I have to point out (since I've had to research this issue, lol) that WebMD's information on this subject is not very comprehensive, and there are many risks due to having this surgery that are not represented in your quote... One risk of the surgery that isn't listed, is "DEATH". Yes, it does happen....more frequently than docs would like to admit., though thankfully, that is quite rare. The "DEATH" side effect is absent when not choosing this cosmetic surgery. One cannot die from not having it done for cosmetic reasons. There are also side effects that happen after surgery, which WebMD hasn't mentioned at all.

    Overall, WebMD is pretty good on most things, but not on everything. There's better info out there.
    i agree this thread has taken a wrong turn.

    but the death option yes is always possible. but it is also possible by not getting it done. all the risks listed by not having it done in some way or another can lead to death. particularly the cancer one. this is not a "cosmetic surgery" (one that is purely done to look better) it is a preventative surgery or a religious ceremony for some

    if for some strange reason this topic is still relevant at 8pm when i'm at home i'll get out the med school textbooks. if it however returns to the original topic then i shall say no more to the matter

  9. #59
    Senior Member DarrinGreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Souf Joisy
    Posts
    2,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    ...Mkay there bud. That's enough internet for you today.

    We're talking about Dew Claws here. What are (you) talking about?

    scratchhead-1.gif



    /
    no reason we should be discussing dew claws... that's what I'm talkin 'bout...

    no conclusive evidence medically one way or the other as to their usefulness

    tons of anecdotal evidence that they tend to get caught on things and injure the dog

    decades of removing them in working dogs

    now all of a sudden... we think twice

    you see the same trend all throughout society these days

    it bears thinking about

    why fix what ain't broken?

    more anthropomorphic trends in dog care and training, brought to you by the same people who think there should be no winners and losers in little league baseball

    that is all, carry on
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 01-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Darrin Greene

  10. #60
    Senior Member Terri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    625

    Default

    No one has addressed the structure issue I brought up. Also I would add that there is no reason a pet needs the dew claw. My daughter's dog had to have the dew claws removed at 8 months, Vet advised removal because they did not lay flat causing a greater risk of tearing.

    As for the circumcision I was thinking maybe that can be another poll question, but it might need to be moved to the political side of the board. Poll question: do you like your dog's altered (ears, tail, neutered, and dew claws) and your man left as God made him. lol!

    Terri

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •