The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: The Question of Dew-Claws

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • I expect a breeder to remove them, and would not buy a dog with it's dew-claws intact

112 42.26%
  • I prefer dew-claws to be removed, but would consider a breeding where they were left intact.

87 32.83%
  • Dew-claws are not a consideration to me. It doesn't matter to me whether they are left intact or not

25 9.43%
  • I would prefer dew-claws to be left intact and more breeders should consider this option.

41 15.47%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dew claw poll

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post

Funny, because I'd bet labs just as often rip off dew claws as need tails docked due to injury. Yet they don't dock all their tails as puppies
    True enough!

As to the snow comments, we experience winter late Oct to late April. Dewclaws take a little time to toughen up to snow conditions like the rest of the foot does. Our dogs hunt in the late fall when snow/ice is around, hunt sheds and hike in the deep winter snow, and pull the dog sled. Dews are no more of an issue on an acclimated dog than any other toenail, in my experience.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I would much prefer to have a dog with dewclaws left on! I have never removed dewclaws in my litters (not had any rear dews in my pups so far). I have also never had a single dewclaw injury. I have however had a few instances of other toenails getting ripped (and I keep nails super short...I dremel them twice a week!). One dog had a knack of getting her nails stuck between boards of my deck LOL

Although I have not turned down buying a dog because dewclaws were removed, if I had 2 equally good breedings to choose between, with one having dewclaws removed and one with them left on, and everything else totally identical about how they are raised etc, I would go with the litter with dewclaws. Heck, I would even pay more for the litter with dewclaws left on!

All my dogs currently living here except the lab have their dewclaws, and they ALL use their thumbs. Compared to the rest of my gang, I do feel that the dewclawless dogs that have lived here have been at a disadvantage in many ways

No way would I want them. I have seen them torn off bleeding many times over the years on folks dogs that had them. Chuker hunting in the steep rocky hills your lucky if you keep their padds good. Add crusted snow and 16-25 miles in a day and you have a hurting dog. I guess for a good number of folks dogs it wouldn't matter either way. I cannot see any advantage to having them at all.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

Many years past when I was into the pointer arena, they were removed. One day I ask the ole man the question on why and the answer I got was from his eyes....Today...It's up to the person to gain as much knowledge he or she contemplates and then make a formal decision base on that...
    I didn't vote on the poll...I sense my dad's eyes still implanted in my mind.

..prefer them on...
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

while the majority of the commenters prefer them on the poll obviously does not reflect that as 80% prefering them removed (45% insisting upon it)

I have never had or seen an issue with dw claws on hunting dogs. If you research the latest info on sports related injuries, especially the research done recently on injuries with agility dogs, there is a data there that indicates that dew claws play an important role in how dog distribute their weight, especially when stopping and taking tight turns. It is very interesting reading and goes along with the recent information about the effects on early spay neuter on dogs structure and the tendency for increased injuries with practice. My dogs all have their dew claws intact and I have had relatively few orthopedic injuries despite their competing in field, obedience, agility and hunting.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

As an interesting aside, check out the Norwegian Lundehund - http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...ec#/0f3a8bec/1

They have extra toes for climbing steep cliffs to retrieve birds.
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    As an interesting aside, check out the Norwegian Lundehund - http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...ec#/0f3a8bec/1

They have extra toes for climbing steep cliffs to retrieve birds.
    The Puffin hounds...LOL. A dew claw hater's nightmare

I saw a mini clip on this breed last year (I think it's in the process of getting AKC recognition) and in addition to the strange feet with the extra digits, it has several other unusual characteristics found in no other breeds and a fascinating history. More here

As for dew claws, the poll results are consistent with my own feeling that most people prefer them removed so that's what I'll continue to do with litters. It's such an inexpensive and simple process when done shortly after birth.

Interestingly, the Canadian KC recently changed the Chesapeake breed standard so that rear dew claws are no longer a disqualification (as they are in the U.S.) I can't help but wonder if this is animal rights driven..... the way docking and ear cropping are no longer allowed in certain countries thanks to the animal rights lobby.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    The Puffin hounds...LOL. A dew claw hater's nightmare

I saw a mini clip on this breed last year (I think it's in the process of getting AKC recognition) and in addition to the strange feet with the extra digits, it has several other unusual characteristics found in no other breeds and a fascinating history. More here

As for dew claws, the poll results are consistent with my own feeling that most people prefer them removed so that's what I'll continue to do with litters. It's such an inexpensive and simple process when done shortly after birth.

Interestingly, the Canadian KC recently changed the Chesapeake breed standard so that rear dew claws are no longer a disqualification (as they are in the U.S.) I can't help but wonder if this is animal rights driven..... the way docking and ear cropping are no longer allowed in certain countries thanks to the animal rights lobby.

It is my opinion that the environment of this dog has dictated that dew claws are necessary and these look very much like they could be functional but for the most part our dogs have evolved away from this due to the lack of need for them to something that is still there yet not so functional.