The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: The Question of Dew-Claws

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • I expect a breeder to remove them, and would not buy a dog with it's dew-claws intact

112 42.26%
  • I prefer dew-claws to be removed, but would consider a breeding where they were left intact.

87 32.83%
  • Dew-claws are not a consideration to me. It doesn't matter to me whether they are left intact or not

25 9.43%
  • I would prefer dew-claws to be left intact and more breeders should consider this option.

41 15.47%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dew claw poll

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    Without pulling out my wife's textbooks (which i can do if you please when i get home)

webMD:
    Benefits:
    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

Risks (only inherent risks are at the time of surgery no lasting effects):

Pain
    Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
    Irritation of the glans
    Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
    Risk of injury to the penis

WebMD:
    The function of the appendix is unknown. One theory is that the appendix acts as a storehouse for good bacteria, “rebooting” the digestive system after diarrheal illnesses. Other experts believe the appendix is just a useless remnant from our evolutionary past. Surgical removal of the appendix causes no observable health problems.
    WebMD? This is your idea of an original research article?

Google "prepuce human function" and check out the articles published by Wiley or that show up in pubmed. Tons of true facts and research about its function, from aiding in intromission to Ig A secretions. The WebMD statements about the appendix is consistent with what I wrote---the idea that the appendix has no function is being challenged by new research. You can google that too.

The point is, if we all assume that dew claws have no function, and no one bothers to investigate whether they have a function, then we cannot make informed choices about what to do.

Meanwhile I'm tired of speculating...I am checking out of this thread!
    Renee P

[QUOTE=mitty;1181451]WebMD? This is your idea of an original research article?

Google "prepuce human function" and check out the articles published by Wiley or that show up in pubmed. Tons of true facts and research about its function, from aiding in intromission to Ig A secretions. The WebMD statements about the appendix is consistent with what I wrote---the idea that the appendix has no function is being challenged by new research. You can google that too.

The point is, if we all assume that dew claws have no function, and no one bothers to investigate whether they have a function, then we cannot make informed choices about what to do.

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    No one has addressed the structure issue I brought up. Also I would add that there is no reason a pet needs the dew claw. My daughter's dog had to have the dew claws removed at 8 months, Vet advised removal because they did not lay flat causing a greater risk of tearing.
    Terri

That also was my response years ago when Chris Zink came out w/ that paper. It was not a study. There were no statistics (how could there be?). She was merely observing agility dogs-- many of whom were likely rescues or BYB border collie/aussie types that may have had terrible pasterns.... I asked around at the time on a lab club chat board and several of us who had bred MACH, etc, dogs who had dews removed have never had carpal arthritis late in years. In fact, the only dog I remember that did have carpal arthritis still had his dews. Had weak pasterns though... So I definitely feel structure is the underlying cause.

Great thread/ I have removed dew claws in the past on my litters. But have learned they really need them to help pull them self's out of water onto Ice .