The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The I-96 Shooter

Default The I-96 Shooter

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/v...-not-terrorist

The I-96 shooter would shoot and random cars as they passed him on the road. The guys is a clear danger and ought to be locked up no doubt about it, however he was charged with Terrorism among many other things. The guy sure does not fit my definition of a terrorist and I was wondering if any of you think it is a prosecutorial overreach with charging him with that particular crime.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Actually, such a random act of lethal violence seems to fit the description of "terrorism". The basis for the shooter's acts may not be the same as the jihadists, but the goal of instilling fear of random death is surely similar.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Such a broad definition of simply instilling fear would make a 10 year old bully in the school yard a terrorist.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Actually, such a random act of lethal violence seems to fit the description of "terrorism". The basis for the shooter's acts may not be the same as the jihadists, but the goal of instilling fear of random death is surely similar.
    I agree with that! The guy needs help and should not be allowed to purchase or own a gun, but since we can not keep him from doing this...Lock him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Such a broad definition of simply instilling fear would make a 10 year old bully in the school yard a terrorist.
    I think the bully is a terrorist too. It is no longer pushing kids around....they shoot them now. I heard some huge number of school house shooting on the news the other day. I think if someone is instilling fear it needs dealt with.

I just don't think I can put Franky Johnson in the same category as Osama bin Laden.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I just don't think I can put Franky Johnson in the same category as Osama bin Laden.
    He's not...but you can't let him harm people....and random shooting of cars is terror....clearly the guy is sick, but are we safe with him on the streets

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    He's not...but you can't let him harm people....and random shooting of cars is terror....clearly the guy is sick, but are we safe with him on the streets
    No doubt about that. He deserves to go away for a very long time. Terrorism though is separate from what this guy did. I feel that a prerequisite for a terrorism charge ought to be some political motivation behind the violence or the threat of it. Even though what this guy did was very scary, I don't consider what he did an act of terror because he wasn't after a political goal. He is a criminal not a terrorist. Those terrorism laws were special tools for special cases and it concerns me that they are being abused by using them against more common criminals rather than the intended targets.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    I think the bully is a terrorist too. It is no longer pushing kids around....they shoot them now. I heard some huge number of school house shooting on the news the other day. I think if someone is instilling fear it needs dealt with.
    Actually, the bullies rarely are doing the shooting. It's the kids that have been pushed around, bullied, and otherwise terrorized who are those perpetrators.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    Actually, the bullies rarely are doing the shooting. It's the kids that have been pushed around, bullied, and otherwise terrorized who are those perpetrators.
    That is true.