The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Stretching them out

Default Stretching them out

I believe Hillman gives the example of shooting the lid of a trash can with a BB gun and slowly backing up while maintaining accuracy. Some people stretch them out by "shotgunning" marks on the pup's way out. Meaning, throw bumper after bumper as the dog runs out. I can see where this would be beneficial for stretching them out distances farther than they've been before, but in a sense, it's unrealistic to just throw several bumpers. What are your thoughts? The reasons for it. The pros/cons. Does anyone not use this method? If not, why not?

As always, thanks!
    Kyle

The fire drill has its place but if over used can result in less momentum rather than more. Adding distance to marks is usually a lot more simple than most people think it is. (unless your only throwing bumpers from the pups side) Slow progression will allow you to add distance over a period of time where the dog never even realizes you are adding distance. Think about throwing marks on the soccer fields for the 3 month old pup, he goes 30 yards, then 40, then 50 because he can see the bumper. You keep adding distance as the pup grows and before he's in formal work he is picking up marks with no cover at 200 yes with no problem. Then you come back in and add factors with distance being the last factor added. I've got a 10 month old and we did a set of walking singles with a buddy the other day around a nice long rolling hay field and she is picking up 300+ yd singles. Now, If I could just get all her lights to come on, on the T field, we'll be money.

One of my favorite quotes I read about teaching marking, "Don't hide the candy."

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    The fire drill has its place but if over used can result in less momentum rather than more. Adding distance to marks is usually a lot more simple than most people think it is. (unless your only throwing bumpers from the pups side) Slow progression will allow you to add distance over a period of time where the dog never even realizes you are adding distance. Think about throwing marks on the soccer fields for the 3 month old pup, he goes 30 yards, then 40, then 50 because he can see the bumper. You keep adding distance as the pup grows and before he's in formal work he is picking up marks with no cover at 200 yes with no problem. Then you come back in and add factors with distance being the last factor added. I've got a 10 month old and we did a set of walking singles with a buddy the other day around a nice long rolling hay field and she is picking up 300+ yd singles. Now, If I could just get all her lights to come on, on the T field, we'll be money.

One of my favorite quotes I read about teaching marking, "Don't hide the candy."
    Me likes...Me likes a lot.