The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oregon ruling on Christian bakery

Default Oregon ruling on Christian bakery

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...esbian-couple/
    Practically have the weddings almost covered now: flowers, cakes, and photography. Just missing the catering, the music and the facility.

As I read this article I wondered, suppose a kosher Jewish caterer was asked to prepare non-kosher food for a wedding? Would they also have to comply? What if a Muslim caterer was asked to prepare roast pork?

When it comes to the separate-but-equal concept, that isn't where I'd fall. But all these services that have gone to court specifically address participating in a type of religious ceremony, so it does seem to fall in a different area.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I read the article and asked myself how was their ability to practice their faith harmed by them taking this order? I understand they don't agree with what this other couple was doing, but it is not as if their personal beliefs were under attack. It was in fact them strenuously pushing their beliefs on the lesbian couple.

I do believe that a Muslim or Jewish caterer could say that they do not offer pork products. I do believe those same caterers would be in violation of the same law if they said they did not service Christians, so I do not see a double standard there. These people are not being asked to participate or even endorse these religious ceremonies, but to simply provide the services they do to anyone else without discrimination.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

I did not know it was a law that a Private Business must serve everyone. If I don't want to sell something to someone that is my right as a business owner. Might not be good for business but that should be their right to do so. Move on and find a place that will. I am sure they are not the only bakery.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I did not know it was a law that a Private Business must serve everyone. If I don't want to sell something to someone that is my right as a business owner. Might not be good for business but that should be their right to do so. Move on and find a place that will. I am sure they are not the only bakery.
    So a business person could simply place a sign on his window stating "No Jews" on his store window if his religious beliefs follow that thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    So a business person could simply place a sign on his window stating "No Jews" on his store window if his religious beliefs follow that thinking?
    I think a "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" covers that & is quite common in business establishments. Kinda like "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

You do have the right to refuse service, however you can not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion and in a few states sexual orientation.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post

and thats what baffles me about this case...why not move on...something stinks about the whole thing, like it was a set up by someone or some group with an agenda
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

There are a lot of bakeries in Portland and many that would fully support these fine folks lifestyle and many that live that lifestyle themselves. This whole exercise was to make a political point and that is all. Has nothing to do with cake.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Another example of how progressives think. They often refuse to be "inclusive" to others with differing viewpoints; however, they have no problem inserting themselves where they may not be welcomed. Then complain about discrimination! Mind-numbing!!

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Yes, I dont agree with it and they would likely not be in business very long.

What if an organization would only offer financial assistance for college depending on your race? or a Private Club refusing membership to certian individuals? Its their choice. No one was denied housing, an education or health care. They couldnt get a wedding cake. As far as housing goes as long as I have less than four units I can rent to whom ever I like.
    Saying all this, I think it is a little over the top on denying service to anyone, is not a very good business model.