The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Wingers

Default Homemade Wingers

I have a couple homemade wingers that are very useful. However about a year ago I moved, so my family members who were willing to manually launch them are not able to help me anymore. Does anyone have an idea on how to build some homemade remote launchers for them? Trying to figure out how to run 2 wingers off the same remote out to about 90-100 yards.

A pic of the "wingers" would be helpfull to get the creative juices flowing.
    Nordahl's Dream in Extreme (Dixie) 2 JR. Passes

A picture of the wingers or atlest the release system would be helpfull this was a thread that had a prety detailed list of the supplies.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...de+electronics
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

As soon as I get home this afternoon I will get some pictures of the wingers up. Right now I am using bow releases as a release, but I think I am going to replace them with something else that isn't so close to a hairline trigger.

rotcsig443,

Copy and paste the link below to your browser and it will take you to a post I started a while back. The post contains picture of the wingers and electronics I put together.

In general terms, you will need a car door lock actuator to operate the bow release and some type of electronics to operate the actuator.

Have a great day,
    Kendall

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...nd-information

Go figure, the link became active. Just click on it.
    Kendall

I have a homemade winger that a friend designed. The winger is PVC. The release is made from a gate latch. I used poly baling twine, strong, light and cheap, to trip the release. It worked pretty good. At longer distances you needed to have the release lined up with you so you pulled it straight back, too much angle and it would not release.

The gate latch was screwed to a small pice of plywood that was screwed to a small piece of pvc pipe that slid over the conduit pipe that was used to cock the winger. The loop on the pouch then was held by the gate latch.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Sorry about not posting pictures, didnt get home until pretty late so I didnt pull one out to take pictures. However they are the same PVC mini-wingers that kwicklabs built and shared with the bow release as a "trigger." Honestly, I am terrible with anything related to wiring and electronics (servo's, remote release systems, etc). Right now I am manually releasing the wingers with just long pieces of cord. What all do I need to order and from where so I can try and figure out how to get these running out to about 125 yards. I looked at several sites listed throughout the links provided but I have no idea what I am looking at and just looking for some help. Preferably the cheaper the better since I am a vet student.

A rough estimate is $30 for a two channel receiver, $20 for a six channel transmitter, $15 for a small 12 rechargable battery, $10 for a buzzer, $5 for a project box, $5 for an automotive switch, and $5 for wiring. Roughly, $230 for materials to put together a set of three. Throw in shipping charges and it is probably closer to $250.

Kendall

made 4 pvc wingers last year. i had nothing on hand had to purchase everything. cost me about 600 roughly for all 4 or roughly 150 a piece. def an easier pill to swallow than spending that much for 1 fully rigged new winger or 2000 for 4

Heres another link http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...omemade+winger

and my cost breakdown quoted from that thread

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    if you dont have any kind of hardware stockpile (pvc, nuts, bolts, zip ties, etc) on hand like i didnt then around $600-650

electronics 180
    pouches and rubbers 200
    actuators, bow release 75
    pvc, hardware, zip ties 150-200

but considering i just saw 4 used ones plus electronics for 1825 then i think i came out ahead. especially when you look at new prices.

i would reccomend only attempting this if you have access to major power tools. i went to my dad's house and we had to use his band saw, mitor saw, belt grinder, drill press, and his foot pedaled dental drill (he uses it for jewelry work). we used kendell stefensen's design