The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Wingers

Never thought about using PVC tubing what size and schedule?
    I made mine out Of Aluminium tubing and had a friend weld them up. Then I took the time to design a firing mechanism that would fire a shot. If I was going to do this again I'd just call Zinger winger and buy his firing mechanism. I tried model aircraft electronics with earlier wingers and different firing systems like having a weight slide down a rod then hit a trigger and fire a shot and the bird at same time but too unreliable.
    Now I use Tri-tronics but have thought about changing to Dogtra just have to change a few things from solenoids to servo motors.
    found they were costing me about $300 each to build, it's amazing how all the little parts can add up and trying to find good pulleys and then when trying to buy latex tubing only buying a 100 ft a time, all these suppliers want to sell 1000 ft minimum.
    But in the end it is rewarding to know that you made them yourself.

Zeekster,

3/4 in, schedule 40 PVC and they are very sturdy, very light weight, easy to store, and cost me about $180 to build two manual launchers at home. We even go as far to make our own pouches. Cost about $25 to make 3 as compared to that for 1 from online. I got the tubing from http://www.reefscuba.com . They have tons of different sizes and lengths you can buy.

Like I mentioned before, I'm electronically challenged so im still trying to deccifer everything the other threads say I need and how to put it all together, but I think I have it down.

- Door lock actuator (going to a junk yard to pull these off)
    - 12V battery
    - 4CH 2000M Long Range DC Power Output Receiver & Transmitter from carymart (http://www.carymart.com/4ch-2000m-long-range-dc-power-output-receiver-transmitter-learning-code-p-1596.html?zenid=cdgrtle3o4ab0j5f0ctd4qqk27)
    -Some type of box to put it all in.

What else am I missing because I feel like I am.
    Last edited by rotcsig443; 01-28-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rotcsig443 View Post
    Zeekster,

3/4 in, schedule 40 PVC and they are very sturdy, very light weight, easy to store, and cost me about $180 to build two manual launchers at home. We even go as far to make our own pouches. Cost about $25 to make 3 as compared to that for 1 from online. I got the tubing from http://www.reefscuba.com . They have tons of different sizes and lengths you can buy.

Like I mentioned before, I'm electronically challenged so im still trying to deccifer everything the other threads say I need and how to put it all together, but I think I have it down.

- Door lock actuator (going to a junk yard to pull these off)
    - 12V battery
    - 4CH 2000M Long Range DC Power Output Receiver & Transmitter from carymart (http://www.carymart.com/4ch-2000m-long-range-dc-power-output-receiver-transmitter-learning-code-p-1596.html?zenid=cdgrtle3o4ab0j5f0ctd4qqk27)
    -Some type of box to put it all in.

What else am I missing because I feel like I am.
    you dont want a 4 channel receiver unless you have 4 things to run at one winger. a 2 channel receiver will run the launcher and the speaker. 1 channel just the launcher.

and you will need a receiver at each winger. so in your case you would need 2 (qty) 1 channel receivers or 2 (qty) 2 channel receivers if you have a speaker. and a 2 button remote or a 4 button remote if you have a speaker

you might need to shop else where if it cost 180 to make 2 manual launchers. like stated above everything all together including electronics cost me 150 per launcher.

I know that some made their wingers out of 3/4". I made some out of 1/2 a few years back and they are still holding strong. The bigger pieces were made from 1"....I didn't make precision fittings as some have previously done, just did a mock winger from Kwik labs. Also, the only tools I had were an electric drill and a jig saw to build the wingers, so not many tools used on my end. Of course, I needed wire strippers, a crimping tool, and a screw driver for the electronic aspect. Hope this helps somebody. Also, here is a picture of my electronics from a post in 2012. I have since done away with the 9V batteries because they weren't lasting long enough and starting to cost a lot and replaced with a single, small 12 V battery. I can post a picture if anybody requests it.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...memade+wingers

Go to my post from March 24, 2012. I put an illustrated diagram of the inside of my electronics box that goes on each winger.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

So I need to order multiple, 1 channel receivers and a 4 button remote to run them off of. I don't plan on adding sirens to them. Right now I have 2 homemade wingers, but once electronics are on them I plan to add another winger and all.

Would y'all suggest getting the upgrade to the 433 megahertz frequency?

Thank you all once again for the help.
    Last edited by rotcsig443; 01-28-2014 at 08:23 PM.

So I need to order multiple, 1 channel receivers and a 4 button remote to run them off of. I don't plan on adding sirens to them. Right now I have 2 homemade wingers, but once electronics are on them I plan to add another winger and all.

Would y'all suggest getting the upgrade to the 433 megahertz frequency?

Thank you all once again for the help.

get multiple 1 channel receivers for how many wingers you have then however many wingers you have get that many buttons on remote. and order all you plan to have once. shipping is high from china and takes a 3+weeks. so if in the end you plan to have 3 or 4 get it all at once

unless your going to have bird boys or your dog handles well id look into getting speakers. if they get out of the area that siren will bring em back without having to stop and handle. if you do decide to get speakers get a 2 channel receiver PER winger and a remote that has 2 buttons per winger

antenna wise i got the magnetic ones and ive tested them to 400 yards (good for a theoretical 1000 clear line of sight)

whatever mHZ u decide get them all in it. unless you train by some RC airplane fields or someone in your group has something on that frequency (more than likely another DIYer) no need to not get the standard.
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 01-28-2014 at 10:26 PM.

As far as servo motors go, what would y'all recommend?

As far as servo motors go, what would y'all recommend?

most of the homemade winger crew does not use servos. we use door lock actuators (using the pull function) tied to bow releases. most of the threads listed in here will have pics so you can see up close what i mean

Why is that? Cheaper or just easier to rig up?

Why is that? Cheaper or just easier to rig up?

cheaper, easier to rig up, and stronger. when the bow caliper is under tension it needs a good bit of pull to trigger it. and less stuff to get ruined gear wise