The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: live pigeons

Default live pigeons

I am looking to get a live pigeon or two to start introducing the pup. I have some questions I am afraid to ask as I fear it is going to bother the animal friendly type. But that's never stopped me before so, here goes...
    How long should I expect these birds to last under these conditions (being tackled and mouthed by pup)?
    Do I need to plan on raising them like "pets" so to speak...feeding them? Getting a coop for them?
    Or do I just use them and set them free?

Feed them, water them and take care of them If you don't over use them, they will last a log time.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

It all depends on the pup Have some of the kill them right off and other that retrieved them many times
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

If you have a just a few you can keep them in a cat crate till you get tired of them. You can always shoot them for your pup when that happens, if they are still "good."

You will need to give them food and water but they will knock it over and make a bid mess. If you keep them awhile they might get dirty from the droppings and spilled food, very yucky.

If you got a few spare bucks get a crate for keeping birds and your life will be easier. I have a bird box that allows the droppings to fall onto a removable bottom, so I can keep the birds and the cage relatively clean. It also has a thing for food and for water.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Clebba View Post
    I am looking to get a live pigeon or two to start introducing the pup. I have some questions I am afraid to ask as I fear it is going to bother the animal friendly type. But that's never stopped me before so, here goes...
    How long should I expect these birds to last under these conditions (being tackled and mouthed by pup)?
    Do I need to plan on raising them like "pets" so to speak...feeding them? Getting a coop for them?
    Or do I just use them and set them free?
    Depending on the dog they can last a long time with simple care. Clean water, food and shelter.

Brought home 3 from a peg shoot in March of one year.( slightly wounded) for a then 4mo old.

Lost one a week or so using it as a clipped wing in the backyard.

Used 2 as clipped wings for retrieves the training area I used until one day I didn't incapacitate one enough and it flew in circles until dispatched by a great shot form my training partner.

Gave the last one to a friends uncle and he used it for a month and let it go.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I have four pigeons that I have had for about about a year. Rowdy is very gentle with them. But I have to keep Hank away from them. Hank is soft mouthed but for some reason runs over the top of them and does them in.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I have 2 pigeons that live in a small bird cage. I've had them for about a month. They do always flip over the dixie cups of food and water, so I did get a water dispenser.

They're pretty hardy birds. I usually have a dozen or so in a small coop, just generic barn pigeons but they will "home" back to the coop if released on my place.
    One important thing to remember with training birds of all kinds: Don't give them a name. Once you name them, they become a pet. I had Chucky the Ducky for a long, long time.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

If you want to catch some get a net and a light. Drive around during the day and mark bridges where you see them flying around or sitting by the bridge. Then around 11:00 pm go out and quietly walk under bridge and shine light under bridge looking where they would perch. Use the net and catch your birds, actually kind of fun and a little freaky your first time.

Ironically enough, it wouldn't be my first time. When I was a teenager, my buddies and I would do exactly that. A little stupidly, I might add. We would actually walk the girders unde the bridge, over traffic and frantically try to net them with landing nets...the short ones. We even got stopped by the police once. He actually helped us by using his spot light. I always thought my friend was a little wierd, raising pigeons for no apparent reason.