The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive & Focus

Default Drive & Focus

I have a black female that has progressed nicely through obedience and basic formal training. been using the y-drill to help her marking skills and its helping but it seems that she lacks drive and focus on every retrieve. i havent been able to get her on any live birds yet and i know thats really important. will the bird factor help her drive and focus, or can drive and focus be trained. this is only my second dog and the first one made me look like a much better trainer than i am. i appreciate the advice.

Yes using birds will help! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Ditto, live birds should help.

Could someone clear up the Y Drill for me please?

How old is the dog? It might be she's just going through a stage and just hasn't turned On yet, might also be preparing for her first season (they get a bit strange around that time), of course she's female (they get a bit strange for no-reason sometimes too ). Also too much focus on "formal", has a tendency to suppress drive, it's a balancing act btw chaos and structure, and it's very dog specific. The goal especially on a young dog is too keep just enough control so the pup does not become a monster; yet enough freedom and chaos to keep a dog in the state of mind where it wants to please, is willing to learn, and wants to do the job. Sounds like your dog might need a little more excitement and a little more freedom to bring her around. If she's got bird drive live birds should do it. Or you might try letting her have free range to use her nose, hone her quartering ability on a scented field, teach her to trail, get her a little more independent and confident in her field work. Focus can be trained but you need the drive amped up first.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-23-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    Could someone clear up the Y Drill for me please?
    Go Here!

http://www.billhillmann.net/blog/

You dont have to do this alone!

You can have a Bird Boy to throw the sequence for you.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

She just turned 1yr on 1/1/14. Would pheasants work. Its hard to find pigeons in my area. I also try to used dead ducks when i have them.

Yes a pheasant will work but you will need to clip a wing. Turn it lose and watch the fun begin for your dog. This will amp up the drive. Bumpers all the time can get boring for the dog. Live action will turn the switch on. Do it for sure.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    I have a black female that has progressed nicely through obedience and basic formal training. been using the y-drill to help her marking skills and its helping but it seems that she lacks drive and focus on every retrieve. i havent been able to get her on any live birds yet and i know thats really important. will the bird factor help her drive and focus, or can drive and focus be trained. this is only my second dog and the first one made me look like a much better trainer than i am. i appreciate the advice.
    You can't train or teach drive and focus, but you can change the dog's behavior to create drive and focus. Good stuff above.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Yes a pheasant will work but you will need to clip a wing. Turn it lose and watch the fun begin for your dog. This will amp up the drive. Bumpers all the time can get boring for the dog. Live action will turn the switch on. Do it for sure.
    If you just clip a wing that pheasant will run off so fast you might not be able to get one retrieve in!!