The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drive & Focus

Bantam roosters are another option. Cheap and tough, with lots of noise to fire a dog up.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Never thought about the pheasants, running off. I have a very large field to work in. Should make for a good chase.

Addressing the drive portion of the OP, I would reccomend wing clipped pigeons thrown in water. You'll need a bunch of them, though. Use each one only once. Ideal distance is about 20-25 yards with the bird landing at least 10 yards from the nearest point on the shore. If the dog doesn't crunch them, they can be dried, rested a couple days and re-used in another session.

They really can't swim, insuring that they don't get away and that the dog succeeds. They do cause a lot of commotion in the water as they propel themselves thru the water with their wings. This should awaken any prey/chase instinct your dog has.

PM me on my focus idea.-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 01-24-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I have access to quail, but their not tough enough. Guess I could have quail for dinner after training!

There are folks on here with some great advice. Unfortunately they are sworn to secrecy and cannot help. I'm not sworn to secrecy so I would first recognize this is a young dog still in basic/early transition. With a good solid training program based on success the dog will progress. Often times, as some have mentioned, birds will make the light bulb go off and they turn into a firebreather. Another thing to keep in mind is, this may be your dogs personality. Not every dog is a fire breathing dragon. That doesn't mean your dog can't do the work, you just have to adjust to the personality and style of the dog. Its much to early to worry about, keep your focus and train correctly. It comes together.

Remember to have fun.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Age, time, and live birds will do it. My dog completely changed his pace and drive after he caught his first cripple. You can see the expression on their face change within an matter of seconds once that predator prey drive takes over. I didn't have access to pigeons so I just started taking him hunting with me and all of a sudden he made the connection and it was on from then on.

Disclaimer, a lot of people will discourage taking the dog hunting before he is a finished dog but if you do it right and make sure you focus on the dog and not the hunt you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the positive advice, as I am just as green as my dog!

Not knowing your dog's personality, it might be a good idea to be a bit proactive here and discuss which live bird. If you take a pen raised rooster and clip its wings, it can have a lot a fight. Meaning its wings will "bang" on a dog. They may even get in a lucky spurring and draw blood. This is probably not a good time to risk having that happen. Of course, you could shackle a roosters legs or decide to go with a hen first. Live ducks are strong, but don't have the spurring issue. Pigeons are less likely to be a "winner".....not nearly as likely to put up the same kind of "resistance". Live quail are "pansies" (comparatively speaking).

Awareness is much better served ahead of time.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 01-24-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

also not a bad idea to have a piece of string on the bird so you can reel him in (along with the dog) in the event it gets too far away, or into a bad spot, such as under Jim's truck.
    Darrin Greene

For pheasant quail and chukar. I tie half filled water bottles to their legs so they can flush then come back down, also they can't run too far. I actually find that quail can hold up pretty good, chukar & pheasant can be very fragile, where as I've had quail I could use for months at a time.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)