The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you send your dog? not me

I am reasonably certain that those people value their dogs as much as I do mine. What you or I might view as risky may be routine for them with little history of the cataclysmic consequences we might envision. We all put our dogs in some jeopardy every time we say back. I suspect those fellows might be horrified by retriever training in Texas in July but with a lifetime of knowledge of the risks and how to avoid catastrophe I am quite comfortable with it all.

Wonder if they have there Dew Claws

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    That made me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Only the silver's due.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I am reasonably certain that those people value their dogs as much as I do mine. What you or I might view as risky may be routine for them with little history of the cataclysmic consequences we might envision. We all put our dogs in some jeopardy every time we say back. I suspect those fellows might be horrified by retriever training in Texas in July but with a lifetime of knowledge of the risks and how to avoid catastrophe I am quite comfortable with it all.
    Agreed, if you're running field trials or hunt tests, it isn't risk free. There's a well known field trial trainer that used to guide up in Maine for sea ducks. My dad did many sea duck hunts similar to this one, and he says the dogs deal well with the rocks, its the barnacles that cause the most wear and tear. We didn't have any dogs get injured seriously on the hunts, but we have had two dogs get impaled, one at at a FT and the other training for FTs.

That is a good example of what these dogs are capable of. With that said, no I would not send my dog into that. But that is the way of hunting where they are so it's not out of the norm.

This also settles another common disagreement..... There is a place for these "big labs" in hunting and I think you just watched it. You don't see no 60 pounder doing that.

Guy told me one time that his little dog would run circles around any big dog no matter what the circumstances, he obviously was a little skewed on that statement
    Last edited by CodyC; 01-23-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    That is a good example of what these dogs are capable of. With that said, no I would not send my dog into that. But that is the way of hunting where they are so it's not out of the norm.

This also settles another common disagreement..... There is a place for these "big labs" in hunting and I think you just watched it. You don't see no 60 pounder doing that.

Guy told me one time that his little dog would run circles around any big dog no matter what the circumstances, he obviously was a little skewed on that statement
    I must have missed the part of the movie where they give the dogs weight.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I would like to know how you train a dog to deal with getting his head knocked into a boulder and getting knocked out....I fully realize these dogs have been built up to this , but no way in God's little green earth am I gonna watch my dog get pounded into the rocks.
    By the way I have NO problem with the waves, just with the rocks. If the were hunting off a beach I would not have a problem
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 01-23-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    I must have missed the part of the movie where they give the dogs weight.
    Since size a weight of labs is apparently a touchy subject, I was clearly stating a point there is a place for a bigger dog. If you were going to do this type of hunting you would need a bigger lab to handle it.

No you didn't see any part of the movie where they stated the dogs weight, but you did see that the dogs they were using were easily over 100 lbs.

I am not a person that says you have to have a big dog, but I do believe there is a time and a place where a bigger dog is more suitable for certain situations. Not trying to rekindle an old thread but there was a heated thread on here about dog size

Do not think so. To many things to go wrong.
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi