The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Would you send your dog? not me

Cody, if we compare retrievers to athletes (which I strongly believe they are) and everything else being equal I agree that a bigger dog will have an advantage with physical strength over the smaller dog. Just stands to reason.

I don't care if everyone thinks bigger is better.

The point is no where can I find that these are indeed 100lb labs.
    They don't look like it to me.
    Are you guessing via ratio to the owners...mwho could be 4 foot tall or 7 foot tall?

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Marissa, my point had nothing to do with the video just a statement regarding size in general.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Marissa, my point had nothing to do with the video just a statement regarding size in general.
    I wasn't referring to your post, sorry if it sounded that way.

I was more referring to Cody's comment
    "No you didn't see any part of the movie where they stated the dogs weight, but you did see that the dogs they were using were easily over 100 lbs. "

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

If you have been around RTF for a number of years you can usually tell the season of the year by threads and how prickly the posters become..... it must be winter.....

Cody, if we compare retrievers to athletes (which I strongly believe they are) and everything else being equal I agree that a bigger dog will have an advantage with physical strength over the smaller dog. Just stands to reason.
    Exactly. Still amazes me the number of people that cannot comprehend that and will argue it until there is no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Exactly. Still amazes me the number of people that cannot comprehend that and will argue it until there is no tomorrow.
    Correct. I am not concerned about the size but wondering if the dogs had dew claws?

If we where comparing human athletes that would mean that a competitor in The Worlds Strongest Man Competition would be able to swim faster that a pro basketball/baseball player.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Shawn, you're missing the point. If you look at my post I stated if everything else was equal. I could give a ton of sports related examples but you probably still wouldn't agree. Your example is comparing apples to oranges. You should look at it from the perspective of a strong swimmer of a particular size vs. another swimmer. Strength is not only about how much you can lift. FYI my male lab weighs about 71 lbs. Not big by most people's standards!
    Last edited by coachmo; 01-24-2014 at 11:24 AM.

well ,how about the 100 lb dog will get slammed into the rocks harder than the 60 lb dog ? Just because of mass and acceleration F+ma
    my 85 lb boy is PLENTY big enough!!!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com