The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of the two parent family

Progressives will never admit the part they have played in the break down of the American family. NEVER!!!

Henlee, call them what you will they are anti-conservatives...below is a quick summary from an article from the Intercollegiate Review on Conservatism that I like:
    Standing Firm
    While the particular issues we face today may be different from those of the past, the four pillars of modern American conservatism remain robust. Conservatives universally advocate a return to limited government, for as Ronald Reagan used to say, a government that can give you everything you want can also take away everything you have. Conservatives advocate free market capitalism, less regulation of economic activity, and fiscal responsibility. They also favor entrepreneurship and lower taxes to spur economic growth. Conservatives work to restrain activist judges in an effort to restore the rule of law.
    Social conservativeís today work to shore up family values. They oppose abortion, same-sex marriage, and sexual permissiveness. They also advocate strengthening traditional standards in education, and a larger role for religious faith in public life.
    On foreign policy issues, conservatives have recently been divided. Traditionally, conservatives have believed that war should be avoided if at all possible but that a strong national defense is nevertheless vital. Peace through strength, if you will. But a new strand of conservatives joined the movement in the 1970s and 1980s: the so-called neoconservatives. Many of these were former Democrats, liberals on domestic policy but anti-Communists and hawks who made common cause with other conservatives toward the end of the Cold War. Neoconservatives tend to be more willing to use military power for purposes other than simply defending American interests.
    Still, there are really no clear lines of demarcation between the different branches of conservatism, and in fact most conservatives donít fit neatly into one or another camp. Almost always there are enough genuine similarities in outlook such that, wherever they come from, conservatives can usually work together for the broader cause. As long as we remain faithful to the four pillars of conservatism, the order of liberty, morality, and justice that we have built will stand firm.

I was not trying to switch the tables and blame conservatives for all the woes in the country. In fact I am suggesting that rather than blaming either party, instead search for cause and effect. A lot of the problems have nothing to do with politics. In example the creation of the birth control pill is a non political event, yet the impact that it had on family planning is quite profound. It launched the sexual revolution which really defined the way that we look at relationships. Even if BC became unavailable we are a fundamentally different people because of it. The question ought to be where do we go from here.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

I was raised by a single Mom. My father was killed in an oil field related accident when I was a teenager. He left behind my Mom, myself, a sister and a brother. I think our family was a success because my Mom did her best to raise us with respect for society and ourselves. We had rules and there were punishments for not following those rules. One of her rules that I so much appreciate today is sitting down as a family for dinner...no tv...no excuse other than a job for missing those dinners. She is gone now and i would give anything for the opportunity to have just one more of those dinners.

I feel that the failures with families these days is less because of single parents and more that parents are not raising their kids with respect for anything. They want to be the kids friend, not a parent with responsibilities. I don't have a clue who to blame for this change...but it has to be fixed. The problem is you can't legislate good parenting.

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by Lesa Cozens Dauphin View Post
    I was raised by a single Mom. My father was killed in an oil field related accident when I was a teenager. He left behind my Mom, myself, a sister and a brother. I think our family was a success because my Mom did her best to raise us with respect for society and ourselves. We had rules and there were punishments for not following those rules. One of her rules that I so much appreciate today is sitting down as a family for dinner...no tv...no excuse other than a job for missing those dinners. She is gone now and i would give anything for the opportunity to have just one more of those dinners.

I feel that the failures with families these days is less because of single parents and more that parents are not raising their kids with respect for anything. They want to be the kids friend, not a parent with responsibilities. I don't have a clue who to blame for this change...but it has to be fixed. The problem is you can't legislate good parenting.

lesa c
    Beautiful post!!!!
    Nails the true issue!

lesa c
    100% in agreement of this being a great post and how parenting 101 is/was a key ingredient in the past.

The legislation, I do believe, is becoming more involved. Pre-school, after school and summer school which parents use as a baby sitting crutch for their children. Then there is the individual, which wants to home school or send their childen to private schools, which is financially handicapped and can only use the private schools. Usually it is the the higher income families which are able to afford this luxury.

The teacher unions will fight to end in stopping programs, like a voucher system, which would allow more families to take advantage of private schools or even just a better school district which has open enrollments.
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 01-27-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Henlee, call them what you will they are anti-conservatives...below is a quick summary from an article from the Intercollegiate Review on Conservatism that I like:
    Standing Firm
    While the particular issues we face today may be different from those of the past, the four pillars of modern American conservatism remain robust. Conservatives universally advocate a return to limited government, for as Ronald Reagan used to say, a government that can give you everything you want can also take away everything you have. Conservatives advocate free market capitalism, less regulation of economic activity, and fiscal responsibility. They also favor entrepreneurship and lower taxes to spur economic growth. Conservatives work to restrain activist judges in an effort to restore the rule of law.
    Social conservative’s today work to shore up family values. They oppose abortion, same-sex marriage, and sexual permissiveness. They also advocate strengthening traditional standards in education, and a larger role for religious faith in public life.
    On foreign policy issues, conservatives have recently been divided. Traditionally, conservatives have believed that war should be avoided if at all possible but that a strong national defense is nevertheless vital. Peace through strength, if you will. But a new strand of conservatives joined the movement in the 1970s and 1980s: the so-called neoconservatives. Many of these were former Democrats, liberals on domestic policy but anti-Communists and hawks who made common cause with other conservatives toward the end of the Cold War. Neoconservatives tend to be more willing to use military power for purposes other than simply defending American interests.
    Still, there are really no clear lines of demarcation between the different branches of conservatism, and in fact most conservatives don’t fit neatly into one or another camp. Almost always there are enough genuine similarities in outlook such that, wherever they come from, conservatives can usually work together for the broader cause. As long as we remain faithful to the four pillars of conservatism, the order of liberty, morality, and justice that we have built will stand firm.
    Yep, it's always the other guy's fault. Conservatives have nothing to do with it. I mean, it's SO obvious......
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

lesa c
    Great Post Lesa !!!!! I too was raised by a single Mom, and she did one heck of a job...all my brothers did a good job of filling in so I had a strong male figure to bond with and also to kick my tail when needed
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

[QUOTE=BonMallari;1182533]Great Post Lesa !!!!! I too was raised by a single Mom, and she did one heck of a job...all my brothers did a good job of filling in so I had a strong male figure to bond with and also to kick my tail when needed[/QUOTE

This is a very emotional issue for me. I am glad to see others agree that single parents can and do a great job.

Dan, I hope some of this legislation works. Schools still can't raise our children, at the end of the day you have to have a parent that cares enough to do what is right even if it is hard. Schools and parents have to work together and too many times they don't back each other up.

Thanks Bon, RK & Dan!

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

This is a very emotional issue for me. I am glad to see others agree that single parents can and do a great job.

lesa c
    same here Lesa: I grew up in a time when the "Divorce" word was almost spoken under one's breath like a modern day scarlet letter, cant tell you the number of times at school sporting events/banquets I had to answer the proverbial inquiry as to my father's whereabouts..But Mom was at EVERY single sports banquet, she NEVER missed a single school recital,and she worked full time . The story she used to tell that would bring tears to my eyes, even recollecting it now is one grade school recital where I sang/acted as the lead character in the school play, and the parent next to my Mom remarked "I wish that was my son up there" and my Mom's response was " ..well that is MY SON "..gosh I miss her
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"