The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Train-rite Winger Opinions

Well, shoot. Now I have to agree with chopper fixer. I have to agree that the welds are messy..... doesn't mean they aren't strong.... but they are messy. I hate messy grout lines as well.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Not a current model CD. And not bad welds for tubing. Look more like the old Tangelo Tosser. And they obviously have not failed yet.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Not a current model CD. And not bad welds for tubing. Look more like the old Tangelo Tosser. And they obviously have not failed yet.
    It's a Bird Boy, that I bought less than three years ago.

I never said that it had failed.
    I just said that it's heavy, and poorly welded/assembled.

And that I don't feel that it's quality justifies it's price tag.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 01-27-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Being a Machinist for almost 32 years, and have seen my fair share of welds of all types, I hve to say those welds pictured are examples of perfectly acceptable ARC welds.. Structurally sound..

They are not like a Mig or TIG weld. Arc welds,, or "stick" as they are commonly called will sometimes show porosity
    ,, but will be sound welds.

I mean really? the guy is welding a structure to throw a 7 pound bird..... Its not a frame to withstand the pressures of a 1/4 mile drag racer..

JMHO

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-27-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Copter Doc
    I find that you are very unhappy with your Trainrite bird boy! Even though it has not failed you or performed poorly. I did notice that you have a very early model. We have not used black paint for at least five years. That means you must have purchased from someone else other than us. In fairness to you I would like you to contact me as I would like to refund you purchase price. If others would like to buy this launcher I will resell it for the purchase price after we have refurbished it, and replaced the cords. It will be sold with a one year warranty to the New owner. Those who are interested may call me or PM me.
    Warren Price
    phone number 716-807-5839
    www.trainrite.net
    w. price

I never said that I'm very unhappy with my Trainrite Bird Boy.
    And a refund is not necessary.

Somebody asked for opinions from those that have Trainrite wingers, or have experience with them.

So, I gave my honest to God opinion.

That opinion is that the winger works very well for launching flyers.
    It's design is far better than the Zinger/GU style winger for that purpose.

The release is wonderful. It's an excellent design and very well built.
    There isn't a better release mechanism in existence.

However, I do find the quality in craftsmanship of the winger frame to be significantly lacking. I feel that it's heavier than it needs to be. And I feel that it costs more than it should.

It's that simple.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 01-28-2014 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Copter Doc
    I find that you are very unhappy with your Trainrite bird boy! Even though it has not failed you or performed poorly. I did notice that you have a very early model. We have not used black paint for at least five years. That means you must have purchased from someone else other than us. In fairness to you I would like you to contact me as I would like to refund you purchase price. If others would like to buy this launcher I will resell it for the purchase price after we have refurbished it, and replaced the cords. It will be sold with a one year warranty to the New owner. Those who are interested may call me or PM me.
    Warren Price
    phone number 716-807-5839
    www.trainrite.net
    Wow, Mr. Price! what a stand up guy. just based on this, I'll recommend your wingers... and the next time I go to buy one (I hate the one I have now), I'll really take a hard look at yours. Very few stand behind a product to this degree!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Wow, Mr. Price! what a stand up guy. just based on this, I'll recommend your wingers... and the next time I go to buy one (I hate the one I have now), I'll really take a hard look at yours. Very few stand behind a product to this degree!
    I would be more impressed had he made the offer in private to copterdoc and copterdoc would have posted telling us about the offer, and I believe that he would have. As it is it looks to me like he called him out and tried to grandstand a bit, but maybe copterdoc feels differently.

Wade
    Copter Doc was sincere in his observations about our launchers and he is a pretty good man. I have no issues with him and tried very hard to make him happy with his launcher. My offer to him is open and I was sincere in my offer to buy it back. I asked him to contact me so we could address his concerns! To date he has not done this but I wish he would. I would be happy to fix his frame or buy it back; even though he did not purchase it from us. We stand behind our products long after the warranty has expired. The last thing dog trainers need is a faulty piece of equipment when training. I spend a lot of time training my dogs and it upsets me to have to fix faulty equipment when doing a setup.
    I was not my intention to call him out but rather doing my best to have him contact me. I would like to address the issues he brought to light. I am not one to grandstand, but sincere in my offer to either fix it or buy it back.
    Warren Price
    www.trainrite.net

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Scroggins View Post
    I would be more impressed had he made the offer in private to copterdoc and copterdoc would have posted telling us about the offer, and I believe that he would have. As it is it looks to me like he called him out and tried to grandstand a bit, but maybe copterdoc feels differently.
    w. price