The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Train-rite Winger Opinions

For what it is worth I feel compelled to offer my own 2 cents worth.

Welds on light gauge tubing are some of the toughest to do short of TIG welding. Which would add significant expense. I am constantly trying to build a better mousetrap and the sticking point is always weight vs durability. The Trainrites are a very good balance of strength vs weight. You have to take care of them. If you abuse them yes you could have a problem. But the welds are the least of my concerns. The pouches and rings are a problem. But these are both third party parts and Trainrite does not have direct control of these. I personally have other items I would improve on....but I'll reserve my comments(not criticism) directly for John and Warren. Our club recently bought 5 of the pro model. I built 5 more of my own design(and I had to take great care in welding), in time and material I spent as much or more on the ones from our fab shop.
    IMHO for club use and throwing flyers (with the exception of mine)they are hands down the best out there.

Regarding the releases, They are only thing I am aware of, that are commercially available, but they are exceptional in workmanship and reliability. I don't think you can even buy the old style kick releases.

I thought it was a good honest review by Copterdoc--positive and negative--and appreciated the pictures. I also give Warren credit for his offer. There are a number of folks who sell stuff the the retrieving public who come on whenever anything negative is said and argue. Warren didn't do that and made a nice offer.

Where can you buy the release?

I think they went out of Buisness. I tried googling "trainrite, and train rite" said closed

How bout some plans/dimensions on some homemade metal "aluminum" wingers.

Winger I made a couple of years ago using 1 1/4", 1/8" wall square aluminum tubing. It is 8' tall, front support is 5' tall, width of yoke and frame is the same as Gunners Up large. All dimensions are the same for hole locations as Gunners Up except for hooks that are adjusted proportionately for extra height. All hardware I got at Ace except for rotary latch release, pouch, hinges and theraband silver tubing. This winger throws ducks/birds almost twice as far as the large Gunners Up on high setting.

If you click on the link below you can see it. Click on the picture once it comes up and it will enlarge.

http://s402.photobucket.com/user/willarry/story
    Last edited by willson; 05-23-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Default TrainRite

For all of you who have asked questions about Train-Rite we will be up and producing equipment shortly. My partner John Clement passed away and we have had to reorganize the business. I have quit a list of people who want to place their orders. I have put them on a list and will fill those orders as they came in. I thank everyone for their loyalty and will post soon when we are manufacturing. If you wish to be placed on our list please E-mail Warren at wdp1@juno.com
    w. price

Quote Originally Posted by willson View Post
    Where can you buy the release?
    I have 1 brand new TrainRite release here still. Its the manual/ remote version with the extension cord. I'd sell it for $175 shipped.
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09
    Desire's Littlest Hellian JH (Izzie)