The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force fetch age?

Default Force fetch age?

If you were to send you dog off to be force fetched, what is the ideal age? I'm green to this, and know that that there are probably more variables involved, but in general, what would be the age to send off?
    Thanks

Anywhere 6-12 mos. They all mature differently. I usually tell people 6 mos and if theyre not mature enough, we postpone it. But waiting a couple months to 8 mos should not be a problem. I have a pup just turned 6 mos,and shes no more ready to FF then the man on the moon.! She has a lot of growing up to do yet.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

How do you make the call if they are mature enough?

I have always waited until the were at least 7 months old to insure that they had all their adult teeth. As stated by Billie, the actual age depends on the mental maturity level of the dog, as they all mature at a different age. I usually gauge this by the focus of the dog, if they are still easily distracted and still struggle with the basic obedience commands, I wait until they are ready. Hope that helps a little and good luck!

Check your PMs

Quote Originally Posted by CRNAret View Post
    Check your PMs
    Got it... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Creek Retrievers View Post
    I have always waited until the were at least 7 months old to insure that they had all their adult teeth. As stated by Billie, the actual age depends on the mental maturity level of the dog, as they all mature at a different age. I usually gauge this by the focus of the dog, if they are still easily distracted and still struggle with the basic obedience commands, I wait until they are ready. Hope that helps a little and good luck!
    That is well said.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

not to high jack your thread but I kinda have a question along the same lines. my pup is 6 months and have done hold and started force but decided to back off force for a couple weeks or a month! my pup is a marking fool but was very sloppy not delivering to hand or dropping 10 feet from me. so what I decided to do is back off force and throw marks instead of fun bumpers to clean all of the sloppiness up with kinda enforcing hold! I felt like with just throwing fun stuff and not correcting anything I was digging myself a hole that I might not have been able to get out of! am I doing the right thing or should I continue with force?

Quote Originally Posted by don_adcock View Post
    not to high jack your thread but I kinda have a question along the same lines. my pup is 6 months and have done hold and started force but decided to back off force for a couple weeks or a month! my pup is a marking fool but was very sloppy not delivering to hand or dropping 10 feet from me. so what I decided to do is back off force and throw marks instead of fun bumpers to clean all of the sloppiness up with kinda enforcing hold! I felt like with just throwing fun stuff and not correcting anything I was digging myself a hole that I might not have been able to get out of! am I doing the right thing or should I continue with force?
    My friend,

The hold process must(I don't like to use this word) become a natural to your dog whether he or she is sitting or walking with a buck or bumper. I mean I can almost walk around the block with the dog without dog dropping the bumper. When that occurs, then you are ready to the next step...until then keep going at it. When FF begins, your dog already has an understanding of what is to be done.
    Watch their signs and above all...Praise when praise is due.

Thanks for all the replies and pm 's.
    Would it be advised for someone with NO experience to try and force fetch their(me) own dog?