The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kennel cough

Default kennel cough

How is it treated?

I'm not sure how it's treated now but about 6 years ago there was a liquid they shot up your dogs nose. It's called the bordatella vaccine.

Welp I guess I know why you were a no-show today.

I hope all is well with you and your hounds.

I had a scare last fall, the vet gave my dog an injection of Polyflex SQ (no clue what that is) and 100mg doxycycline 2x per day, for ten days. Robitussin DM as needed for coughing.

So she got antibiotics but there are also viral causes.

In retrospect I don't think my dog had KC, I was paranoid and brought her to the vet in hopes he would say "no, not kennel cough, nothing to worry about." Instead I had to scratch from a FT. Better safe than sorry!

Edit: Actually the big relief is that she did not have a fox tail stuck in her throat!
    Last edited by mitty; 01-25-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Renee P

It usually just has to run its course. Some people do give cough syrup. Any anabiotic would be basically for a secondary type of infection.

last year in Wisconsin a lot of the dogs got very very sick from kennel cough.. I think they had the flu along with it. It went through every panel in the area. It was quite contagious. Everyone should make sure that their kennel cough vaccines contain the influenza vaccine as well. Only the intranasal has an influenza component to it. And not all intranasal kennel cough vaccines have it either. So you have to doublecheck.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Welp I guess I know why you were a no-show today.

I hope all is well with you and your hounds.

I had a scare last fall, the vet gave her an injection of Polyflex SQ (no clue what that is) and 100mg doxycycline 2x per day, for ten days. Robitussin DM as needed for coughing.

So she got antibiotics but there are also viral causes.

In retrospect I don't think my dog had KC, I was paranoid and brought her to the vet in hopes he would say "no, not kennel cough, nothing to worry about." Instead I had to scratch from a FT. Better safe than sorry!

Edit: Actually the big relief is that she did not have a fox tail stuck in her throat!

No not the reason I didnt come down, my dogs are fine but I do have a client dog that has started hacking.
    I just didnt feel like getting up at 4 am and make the 2 hr drive. How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    No not the reason I didnt come down, my dogs are fine but I do have a client dog that has started hacking.
    I just didnt feel like getting up at 4 am and make the 2 hr drive. How did it go?
    The picnic was fun. I tried my hand at shooting fliers (pheasants), I was terrible but I hit a couple.
    Renee P

Time and doggy cough pills, I never put them on antibiotics unless it goes to a secondary infection
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I had a dog with kennel cough, I took him to the vet and he got some meds. I don't know what exactly but the vet said to let him relax for a month or so...

If it is kennel cough due to Bordatella, doxycycline will shorten the course of the disease. Cough medicine doesn't help. One of the reasons I will put a dog on doxy is that the fact that it can morph into pneumonia.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

They need to be absolutely sure it's kennel cough. I suspected a case of kennel cough in my boy last summer, xrays revealed it to be pneumonia instead. In this area, blastomycosis is a concern as well.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com