The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kennel cough

Here's a thread that has some good info about Kennel cough. My dog had a case of it last summer. Thanks Steve for the reminder of getting her vaccines!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...t=kennel+cough
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Kathleen Doxy is being used for so many things , is there any worry of antibiotic resistance? Do you think that it's anti inflammatory properties are why it is effective for you on KC? How long do you put them on Doxy for KC?
    I got a yellow cough pill several years ago from my vet , it really did help...I wish I knew what it was
    Thanks!!!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    is there any worry of antibiotic resistance?
    How long do you put them on Doxy for KC?
    I got a yellow cough pill several years ago from my vet ,
    Thanks!!!
    Yes there is a threat of resistance to doxy. That's why I don't put every dog that turns positive for Lyme with the snap test, on doxy. There needs to be clinical signs.

If you've got a working dog, you need to get rid of the cough quickly. I put them on it for 10 days.

The cough tab you got had guaifenesin which is the only thing that has a chance of working on the cough. For some reason it works better as a tablet then as a syrup.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Kinda strange. Yesterday it started with one dog and by the end of the day4 of them were hacking. Todayonly2 of them has the slightest cough. The worst has no sign of a cough at all.

My pup just got over it thanks to the rat dog my
    Wife brought home from a local pet store, one week
    Of a steriod and antibiotic knocked it out of him no training
    Or hunting for ten days and no collar around his neck
    But over all wasnt too bad

I had kennel cough go through my crew last summer. The 5 year old BLM who got it first had it worst. I took him to the vet as he was weezing and restricting his own movement - he was prescribed an anti-inflammatory (metacam) for a week and he was done coughing in 5 days. The rest of my dogs cycled through it with the oldest dog never coughing at all, the youngest coughed twice one day, and the rest in between and about 2-5 of mild coughing. I think it's just an individual dog thing, based on their exposure history perhaps... other strains might be worse. I was told to keep them home for 2 weeks after the last of the coughing to avoid spreading it to other dogs, so I did. Our vet wasn't keen on going overboard with treatment unless there were signs of secondary infection- keeping the dogs quiet (restful) seemed like the best medicine.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC MGDC SGDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor CRNCL, Jet and Glitzy CRNMCL
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

We are going through a bought of kennel cough right now, which we likely picked up at a dog show a week ago So far 7 out of 10 in my house have come down with it. This one seems to be pretty mild though, some coughing/hacking but no nasal discharge, wheezing or anything serious. One dog I did give some cough syrup for the first day, the rest are mild enough that we are just waiting it out on "home quarantine". We are skipping all our training classes for the next two weeks and generally keeping them on the quiet side (more crate time, limited outside play time, and lots of raw bones and antlers to chew to keep them occupied).

Honey, lemon, and Hydrogen Peroxide

See.................
    http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/cough2.html

I have a young lab that gets excited early, before training, and coughs with a deep hoarse-like sound. Maybe three or four times. Breeder said his sire did the same thing and
    was nothing to be concerned about. Doesn't happen frequently. But, when he coughs like that I wonder what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    Yes there is a threat of resistance to doxy. That's why I don't put every dog that turns positive for Lyme with the snap test, on doxy. There needs to be clinical signs.

If you've got a working dog, you need to get rid of the cough quickly. I put them on it for 10 days.

The cough tab you got had guaifenesin which is the only thing that has a chance of working on the cough. For some reason it works better as a tablet then as a syrup.
    You can get Robittusin with guaifenesin in the cough medicine!
    Last edited by Mary Lynn Metras; 01-27-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray