The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Amputation of the outside toe

Default Amputation of the outside toe

Has anyone successfully run a dog in competition after one of the front outside toes has been removed? Currently my dog gets markedly lame when retrieving several marks. He broke an outside toe a year and a half ago. He is not lame during usual activity, but becomes lame enough to hold up the affected foot after retrieving 10 or 12 marks of 30 feet or so.

Dex has no back legs and received his SHR. There are splints from Handicapped Pets that might would work.

Yes. I know one that the scissors were dropped when cutting the umbilical cord.... And when they fell, a toe got cut off.... It's not a big weight bearing toe. Did the fracture heal ok?

i nick nick named him 3 toed Joe....
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 01-25-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

So,has his toe been removed, or are you considering it?
    What I'm told ,is the outer toe is not weight bearing,but the inner ones are.My male had his inside left toe removed in November after ongoing lameness and, xrays revealing bone deterioration. (biopsy confirmed non cancerous cyst, TG)
    Hes been back to training full on for about one month now, and has not showed one lame day. His first event is in three weeks....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Yes, and she's doing great. Broke a rear outside toe and I was told to amputate as it would probably never heal properly and re-fracture. You wouldn't know it was gone…unless you looked at it.
    We also train another dog that had a front MIDDLE toe removed and he's doing great as well.
    Marcy Wright

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. I feel better about his performance future!

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    So,has his toe been removed, or are you considering it?
    What I'm told ,is the outer toe is not weight bearing,but the inner ones are.My male had his inside left toe removed in November after ongoing lameness and, xrays revealing bone deterioration. (biopsy confirmed non cancerous cyst, TG)
    Hes been back to training full on for about one month now, and has not showed one lame day. His first event is in three weeks....
    Had the exact same thing happen, but was an inner toe that was removed. The lameness always returned after a few retrieves. A seemingly simple problem ended a very talented dog's career. Hope yours fairs better.

My old girl had both her inner toes cut off at the first joint because of an infection from puncture wound. We fought it for a while with antibiotics and rest, ect. The vet finally did exploratry surgery to see if anything was in there. Doc didn't find anything but gave it a good flushing and the infection never came back but Doc took part of her toes off because they had turned to mush as she called it. But I could not even tell it by watching her run and work, never any problems. Good luck.

Jeff Warren