The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Using pigeons in the Winger Zinger

Default Using pigeons in the Winger Zinger

I would like to be able to use live pigeons in my winger but twice have had fatalities, not to my liking. The first time I tied both feet and wings and thought that was the problem _ too much restraint. This time I tied only the wings but now I think perhaps too tightly. Pigeon took a little abuse from an over excited dog on a second throw and a hard landing on the next mark killed the poor thing. I like my pigeons but would like to use them for what I raise them for _ retriever training. That said, I would like to be as humane as possible when using them. Any advice on how to restrain so that they will stay in the basket of the winger but can also fly enough to ease the landing??

Clip the wings with scissors and use a rubber band on their feet

I just pull a few feathers from the wings. When you put them in the winger put their head under a wing. The tension in the pouch is enough to keep it there.

In addition to pulling flight feather from ONE wing rotate the pigeon and get it dizzy. It will stay in place.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Clip the wings with scissors and use a rubber band on their feet
    Paul...did you mean on one side and not both? I made that mistake and cut both wing's flight feathers. When the launcher went off, so did the bird and off he went. I got an ear full from my mentor and had one less bird for my dog. Oh well.
    To the OP...Placement of bird is very important. Back of bird should be center and facing back of winger. If not, then the bird will be too tight in the pouch when ready for launch. Have fun...
    Last edited by BJGatley; 01-25-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: extra dup. words

Cut them the same way you cut chickens so they can't fly. Pulling flight feathers makes them bleed and takes a long time to heal. They'll live longer. Other option is just wrap rubber band around the feathers on one wing.

Put vet wrap around their head so that their eyes are covered. If they can't see, they should just land and stay put. At least that works for ducks
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks*** - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

It could be the shape of your basket thats suffocating them before they are launched.
    My wingers will kill ducks and pigeons in about 2 to 3 minutes if I don't get them launched in time. may be a little of that is happening with yours.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
    I would like to be able to use live pigeons in my winger but twice have had fatalities, not to my liking. The first time I tied both feet and wings and thought that was the problem _ too much restraint. This time I tied only the wings but now I think perhaps too tightly. Pigeon took a little abuse from an over excited dog on a second throw and a hard landing on the next mark killed the poor thing. I like my pigeons but would like to use them for what I raise them for _ retriever training. That said, I would like to be as humane as possible when using them. Any advice on how to restrain so that they will stay in the basket of the winger but can also fly enough to ease the landing??
    thank you for the good suggestions. i think i was doing several things wrong and my pigeons thank you.

I have hand-thrown shackled pigeons using orange surveyer's tape, tied around the base of the wings. Rotated birds every other day, and used them all one summer.