The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's "normal" for a well-bred pup?

Default What's "normal" for a well-bred pup?

I was reading Lady Duck Hunter's thread (First Retrieve) and the pictures are amazingly cute. Truly proves that "breeding will out." But it caused me to wonder... how soon does an owner know they have the real deal and how can do they know it? (I love it when Retriever News interview the owners of a new NAFC or NFC and the question always arises... How did you know you had that special dog? Not ONE of them says "well... he was sorta indifferent about the whole retrieving thing until he was FF'd and CC'd. But he responded real well to pressure.")

I know there's a lifetime of teaching ahead and even the most talented youngster has to be shaped and encouraged and so forth... )

But how do you know... is it possible to know... you have a prodigy on your hands?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post

But how do you know... is it possible to know... you have a prodigy on your hands?
    When you don't have to ask the question.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

1tulip-Great post that I hope a bunch of the experienced retriever people will respond to. I've often wondered how many AFC/FC (or better yet put a "N" in front of those) dogs never reach those titles bc of owners like myself but would in the hands of others?

I cannot remember who posted it or what thread it was in, but someone here on RTF said an old pro had told them once that the best dog out there is sitting on someones couch. I tend to believe that is a true statement.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)

I hope it's mine, although she isn't allowed on the couch, but she is keeping my toes warm. Her potential is yet to be tapped. I am sure the saying means talent wasted, but a guy can dream.

I think you see when a dog has "it." Just as you see when it doesn't.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    1tulip-Great post that I hope a bunch of the experienced retriever people will respond to. I've often wondered how many AFC/FC (or better yet put a "N" in front of those) dogs never reach those titles bc of owners like myself but would in the hands of others?
    Best Title I have achieved is far better than ''N'' ...It's ''M''...Mine
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

There's a reason I ask the question:

I had a dog that was a line breeding with River Oaks Corky off-spring on both sides. That was one incredible dog (died tragically after getting some Open points.) That was also 34 years ago. I thought he was a once in a life-time dog but I might have another one. I keep trying to remember what he was like when he was really young and I THINK this pup has the same stuff. It's alarming. I'm looking at her and seeing a huge investment in time and money on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I think you see when a dog has "it." Just as you see when it doesn't.
    Agreed 100%
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

You won't for sure that you have the title until your dog is on the awards table being presented the trophy
    It should be the journey getting there that makes it wonderful. Enjoy every day on the way.

At the moment I am enjoying a Rascal son out of an excellent frozen breeding--- three months old today. He is under the table as I type.
    There is a long journey ahead that both he and I will enjoy --- no matter what is at the end.

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
    Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Storm’s Riptide Star (Rascal) and birthplace to earning QAA of 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm (Chip).
    mf96nfc@centurytel.net and nfcrascal@centurytel.net