The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, and thank you from Iowa

Default Hello, and thank you from Iowa

My family has a new addition, a 3 month old chessie named Reagan. We picked her up at 8 wks. and things have been going well so far. A few bumps in the road with OB and house training but nothing out of the ordinary. I am not a breeder nor do I run field trials or hunt tests. I do hunt but not anything that I need a dog for and I am new to that as well. Iowa has been in a slump for several years on upland game, but who knows I may give ducks a go at some point.
    I found this site while researching retriever training mostly for the sake of Reagan than myself, I find her to be eager and quick to learning and I was impressed greatly by her breeds heritage. It has been 10 to 15 years since my wife and I had a pup and although wonderful, I will admit we forgot exactly how much work it is. I need to get my post count up to get in contact with someone about a program I would like to purchase in the classifieds. As I am hear to learn rather than teach, I figured an intro and a Thank You for the literally 10's of hours of reading I have done so far was as good a way to get going as any.

Welcome aboard, as your journey is just beginning you will find more information than you might want here. It seems you know how addictive it can be already. Most all is good, but remember we, or most of us all started out where you are. Enjoy the ride.
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

Thank you, very much. My eyes have been close to bleeding a couple nights already. I enjoy learning as much as my pup.

Nailbender, You should consider joining a retriever club. Even if you don't run any games, you'll meet other trainers. There are clubs in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines and members scattered around the State.

I talked to two people from the Eastern Iowa Hunting Retrievers Assoc. today at Gander Mountain. I drove out there to catch their free e-collar and ob. seminar today and see what the club was about. It got cancelled, I was really disappointed. Thanks for the tip though. I am not ruling out running a hunt test myself, I just have some other goals for I and the pup first.
    I am a member of another forum where "pics or it didn't happen" seems to be said a lot, so I figured I would share.

P.s. Keith I have seen many helpful replies from you already. I have to ask if I may, what happened to the dog in your avatar and is it o.k. now?
    Last edited by nailbender; 01-26-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    I am not ruling out running a hunt test myself, I just have some other goals for I and the pup first.
    Mind sharing what those goals are?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

You just opened a new door. Enjoy the journey.

Congratulations on your pup Reagan. I will add my modest suggestions, being somewhat new to this compared to many here:

Approach training (and this Forum) with an open mind (Forum) and open heart (Reagan) and there will be much to be gained.

I concur with the suggestion that you try to find a local retriever club, even if you don't plan on competing. It's great to have a group of retriever enthusiasts available nearby (but be prepared to work), a 'fraternity' of folks with a common bound, and a wide diversity of approaches and opinions. (Your challenge will be to separate the wheat from the chaff as far as training knowledge and skills.)

There are a number of really really good "Chessie people" on this forum that have many years of experience with the breed. (I had a chessie/lab-cross rescue that I adored, and who was a real challenge to take on. His personality was more Chessie than lab, so I have some partial knowledge of the breed. As you may know, they aren't Labradors with a kinky coat.)

So pay special attention to those that know them very well. It will help you a great deal in your journey.

And most importantly, enjoy the ride and cherish the time - it goes by only too quickly..... Best of luck to you and Reagan.

Cute pup. Good luck to you!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Congrats on the new Pup. I will also suggest joining a local Retriever Club. I got my Chesapeake 3 years ago. He's my 1st dog, and we joined our Local Club to learn how to Train for Retrieving. Its been a great Journey ever since. Its amazing what you can teach your dog, and I find it very rewarding and alot of fun. Not to mention, the the sheer joy of having a well trained dog. Also look into Teamchesapeake.com. It is the website for Chesapeake enthusiasts.
    Good luck and enjoy the ride!