The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a best ever???

Default Is there a best ever???

I almost didn't post this because I didn't want to start a fight but...oh well.

Is there a best dog ever????

A Michael Jordan of the dog world...one that has more titles and stands out the most? I've heard of a lot of amazing dogs and a buddy of mine just bought a dog who's grandsire was Pachanga who he says was a really great dog. And I've heard a lot about Grady and Trav too. I just have very little knowledge of the retriever world and was curious.

Please don't make this a fight. That's not the intention of the question.

When I reach my end and you are still around, I will tell you then and for what it is worth it will be many.
    My penny worth...well maybe a big penny.

Edit to post: They are all best dogs....
    Last edited by BJGatley; 01-26-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add content

For me It Sophie, just saying ......
    Nothing Bad happens to pup on my watch

Steve Talbot

No no no no
    Ed Wojciechowski

HRCH UH "Duffy" MH, HRC 500 points Lab
    HRCH "Kodi" SH, WCX- Std Poodle
    HRCH " Taz" MH, MNH, RN Lab
    HRCH "Heather" SH Lab
    "Gunner" JH, SH, MH Lab
    SHR "Pearl" JH Std Poodle
    SHR "Chief " JH,WCX,RN Std. Poodle
    "Gina " Standard Poodle JH
    " Dash" JH,SH Lab

River Oaks Corky.

River Oaks Corky acquired more all age points than any other--if you are looking at just field trial results. But there are other things that make a dog great. At some point in our lives we may get to own a dog that may not have Corky's ribbon count, but, he will be special to us for a number of reasons. For me it was my first lab, Zeus.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 01-26-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Hard to measure, for sure. And, can you compare eras? That is a tough one, but I can see both sides of that argument.

Also, folks have different criteria. I was speaking with a pro recently and we started talking about 'great dogs'. His criteria for a great dog excluded many that I consider great and a great many that had I owned them, I would have been in FT Heaven.

I think at the end of the day you could come up with some in the running but would have a hard time getting a consensus.

ABD391 - The one thing I learned many decades ago is that when it comes to guys you never question the worth of their car, dog or woman. It is all in the eyes of the beholder for all manner of reasons. For instance would you want to own a 3X NFC bitch who periodically would eat an entire bird in the field while refusing to come in. Like Zeus , my first competitive field trial dog(+++) . Chip remains mine and since his death I have been chasing the rainbow for another one. I have always enjoyed derby dogs because before we mess them up with our notions of quality they demonstrate their most natural abilities to "mark!" When you look at an All-Age dog the ability to work with the handler is also poetry in motion. The challenge of points, wins , etc.is interesting and valid but before you would get carried away with that do not put the burden of "greatness" on a dog but put it on yourself. Test yourself first.

Field trials by design are based on the search to find the best dog, head to head in the field, on that given day...

Without FUBARing this defination , over the years there were more than few were "Better" than (******) or (**** **) on a given day

Where do you go to find the better dog, when the high point Open dog looses to another dog at the National Open. Or worse yet when a former HPOD fails to even qualify

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by ADB391 View Post
    Is there a best dog ever????
    No. Just no.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile