The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a best ever???

Kinda like " what's the definition of success" It really is different for everyone with many appropriate definitions. I also suppose that the definition will change for many over their lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The OP was restating his question because he said no one understood it, so I assumed he thought that people did not understand his analogy. My bad.

Bill Russell has won 11 NBA championships, Michael Jordan has won 6 (according to wikipedia ). So is the best dog the one with the most championships, or the one that everyone thinks is the best because they are awesome in so many other ways?
    I think that's what he was referring to by saying Jim Lostcuff...he's got 7 titles but I doubt anyone would say he was better than Jordan. Although Bill Russell was great (and waaaaaay before my time) the general consensus for basketball is that Jordan was the best. But for arguments sake...let's just forget the terrible use of a basketball analogy.

Now, is there a Pete Rose of the retriever world??? JK!!!

Thanks for all the responses. It's been fun to see all the opinions and it was neat to read up on River Oaks Corky. I'd never heard of him.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ADB391 View Post

Tony
    No. Dogs don't bet.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

I think in the world of FT dogs it was McGuffy. He really beat some long odds to win a national.

In the HT world I believe it's my dog Belle.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Hey everyone I'm still very new to it all, but so far nobody has mentioned any SRS dogs. To me it seems like those dogs have to be able to do it all, they have to be able to do FT,HRC and HT.

let's just forget the terrible use of a basketball analogy.
    Most folks got what you meant by it but some folks on RTF just have to find a nit to pick...

Unlike hoops, though, I don't think there can be anything close to a consensus answer. What are the criteria? High Point Open Dog? If so, I might say Creek Robber. But then folks would say that HPOD just has to beat consistently the dogs on its circuit.

NFC? If so, that would be Lottie, wouldn't it? But is that a better measure than winning all year?

National win or wins combined with a high point award? What about the Amateur side? Shouldn't the best dog run do well for the owner as well as the pro?

Makes my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Hey everyone I'm still very new to it all, but so far nobody has mentioned any SRS dogs. To me it seems like those dogs have to be able to do it all, they have to be able to do FT,HRC and HT.
    Here we go let me pop the popcorn....
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

I think that's what he was referring to by saying Jim Lostcuff...he's got 7 titles but I doubt anyone would say he was better than Jordan. Although Bill Russell was great (and waaaaaay before my time) the general consensus for basketball is that Jordan was the best. But for arguments sake...let's just forget the terrible use of a basketball analogy.

Thanks for all the responses. It's been fun to see all the opinions and it was neat to read up on River Oaks Corky. I'd never heard of him.

Tony
    I think the Michael Jordan analogy is good, but when you emphasized the part about counting titles I thought perhaps you were looking for something else so then I got confused about what answers you were looking for. Sorry, I thought I was being helpful by pointing the title problem out.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-27-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I think the Michael Jordan analogy is good, but when you emphasized the part about counting titles I thought perhaps you were looking for something else so then I got confused about what answers you were looking for. Sorry, I thought I was being helpful by pointing the title problem out.
    No need to apologize at all I think what I originally asked was confusing. I was just curious really about "The Greats" in FT or HT or if there was one that stood out more than others. The "legends" of the sport. Confusing question I know.

Thanks again,

To me the measure of greatness is does the dog do what it was bred to do? Lottie being the dominant derby dog for a long time holding the record and winning the national..... You don't be high point derby dog without beating your contemporaries on a consistent basis. I would think HPOD would be tough for a female, you are giving up four or more weekends a year, but to win the national three times. The derby record shows consistent performance, the national wins show that more then once she was the best of the best for a week.

Another measure of greatness, do the progeny do what they were bred to do. Lean Mac has a lot of FCs to his credit, but for her limited chance to pass on genes, there is Lottie somewhere behind a lot of great dogs today.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog