The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a best ever???

5EB23969.jpg
    Actually this is the greatest dog ever, 15 pound Fred, son of Snoopy, lost to cancer at 11 and a little piece of my heart went with him. I have had dogs for 62 of my 68 years and if I could have one of them back he would probably be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    how about who in some people opions where the best in certain eras? like who was best in the 80s 90s 2000s present etc. your going to get several different opions. If some people knew one dog and what not and did well in the trial world theyll be bias obviously. im sure youll hear people say lean mac, cody, grady, patton, lottie..... the list is pretty long im sure
    I kind of like this idea...I never had the privilege of seeing any of these dogs. And I can't seem to find any videos of them either on YouTube. Did anyone witness first hand any of these dogs? Maybe have a story about them?

Also, many people have said that the best dog is in their living room...tell us a story. Why you appreciate and love that dog so much. Keep it fun! It's not like this is going to a vote. Apparently there were/are many wonderful dogs in the FT's and HT's and that's great to hear about. Everyone has a favorite story of a dog they saw, or what they're dog has done. We're on our second consecutive "snow day" (it didn't actually snow by the way) in Louisiana so cabin fever is getting to me!

Aaaaand even better if you have a picture or a video. Please share it! This has been a fun thread to read!

Many Thanks,

Tony

There is only one great dog in the world and every boy owns him
    Victor-AL

New South's Wham-Bam Abraham - "Lincoln"
    HR Duckin' Duck's Sir Hank (03/1997 to 01/24/ 2009)

"There is only one great dog in the world and every boy owns him"

This is a video of a hunt we made opening day of 2011. This dog is General Edwin's Ace "Ace" - my brother in laws dog - from Boeuf River Retrievers. He's our first "real" hunting retriever. I say real in that he was professionally trained and achieved SH at a young age. I think before he was two. I know that's not a whole lot by most standards but he was the first dog we ever had that did that....

Anyway, the video is pretty boring to be honest. Just us shooting speckle bellies but at about the 3:35 mark he made his first (pretty) long blind. He was a month away from 2 years old, this was his first season to hunt, and and retrieved a crippled speckle belly at about 125-150 yards. The GoPro cameras can make distance seem greater. I wouldn't say it was a flawless retrieve but man what an exciting moment!!! To see the time, and MONEY that was invested in him first hand. I knew right then I'd get one someday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiBid7o-FXU

Like the BCS - SOS is significantly different in all parts of the country & depends a lot on the dogs that create the competitive nuclei of any circuit at any given time - & that changes from year to year - I asked a now deceased competitor why he was on a different early circuit that year than he normally ran - It was his perception that the competition was inferior on another circuit & he wanted to fatten up his dog's resume. Circuit's enjoy different advantages, the Pacific Northwest normally had good water dogs. That advantage has gone by the wayside with much colder winters of late & most of the watery areas now colonized. Unless you have the grounds available to challenge your dog routinely you will never know how good they are.

I've had the privilege of running against, judging & watching some of the great dogs mentioned on this thread, also have owned pups sired by many of them

& have seen many more that if not great certainly border on that. I watched Dandy all the way from a pup to a NFC, & I watched Hal Loop go into hysterics when she calmly came back to the island before the line & proceed to eat the bird. She did deliver what she was not interested in eating to hand . I've had the privilege of visiting with some of the great trainers of my time as I'm sure many of the old timers here have. Once they know you, it's amazing how candid they will be, & what a fount of info they are.

Any dog that wins it all deserves to be among those called great - longer does not necessarily mean harder - I've seen among others "Oily" Adams & "Pizza" Pete set tests with no bird more than 100 yards, trust me, the average MH is not going to be playing in that field with the big dogs. When you see a dog come to the line, sit & assess the situation, then go out & hammer the test you know you've seen greatness.

Some things I would pass on from observation: Honcho never threw a bad pup, but was advised to go to Percy when Honcho pups were no longer available, the Paha Sapa Chief line could throw some very sticky dogs, River Oaks Corky threw very nice, trainable by amateur pups, I never saw anything about Lean Mac that appealed to me though he was well merchandised by his owner. If Charly had ever bred Dandy to a dog I liked I would have had one of those pups. I trained & ran against Chad's dog's sire Code Blue, probably one of the nicer dogs around & certainly the class of his handlers string at that time.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I never saw anything about Lean Mac that appealed to me though he was well merchandised by his owner. If Charly had ever bred Dandy to a dog I liked I would have had one of those pups. I trained & ran against Chad's dog's sire Code Blue, probably one of the nicer dogs around & certainly the class of his handlers string at that time.
    Mr. Marvin, I'm curious about two of these dogs. Both Code Blue, and Lean Mac are in my new pups pedigree. If you don't mind, could you expand on what you did or did not like about them? I've heard some people talk about these two dogs. What about them was or was not appealing?

Thanks,

Tony

tony,
    marvin can tell you about those two. he can also tell you about the two that were on the ark with him.

tasteless joke, one old guy to another.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    If you're basing it on sheer number of titles would not Super Sue be in the running?? There is only one title she never achieved...and she had one pass....too bad Lonnie wasn't around to get her a second....
    may have a winner?? SRSC FC AFC MHR HRCH DAY'S END HILLVIEW SUPER SUE MH
    Last edited by BAYDOG; 01-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    tony,
    marvin can tell you about those two. he can also tell you about the two that were on the ark with him.

tasteless joke, one old guy to another.
    You train on occasion with a guy who is a much bigger student, more knowledgeable of the game, & more successful than I.
    If you can get him to talk he could probably fill the book you are going to write some day about dog training with, at the least 2 or 3 chapters. How's you dog doing, & not the one in NM .
    As for Tony's request, today is a big day in politics with an important meeting which I need to prepare for, but I will get back with him with some history at a later date.

John, no one appreciates a good joke more than I do .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Seeing a dog run from the line is a totally different view of the animal. Thus, individuals which judged these great dogs over the past few decades, I feel, offer the best opinions.

If you do not get the information directly from at least 20 year plus veteran it's just hearsay in my opinion. The fish always gets bigger every time the story is told.

However, you will be able to talk about the ones you see today with true facts.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 01-30-2014 at 12:11 PM.