Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a best ever???

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    what is the elusive "n"?
    n fc, n afc....
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    I would take a MH , HRCH, MHR , over a FC/AFC any day of the week. Hunt test's , in my opinion, better test a dog. FT are a lot like Conformation shows, in that a lot of the judges and who has influence on those Judges feed into a 1st place and 2nd and so on.... Besides, whens the last time , hunting in the swamp or goose field, you ran a blind past two people in white jackets in lawn chairs reading a newspaper?? (actual test I saw at a Licensed FT Open stake).
    Bless your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    I vote for Lassie. Also, the old dog on Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey.
    Yeah Charlotte but, don't you think Timmy had some input as a team, where the old guy was on his own. Just saying...Weatherwax or was it Weatherspoon , the various female Lassie trainer said he taught them over a 100 words or commands. Guess after thinking, Lassie trumps Snoopy because Lassie was a real dog.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    To each his own but I completely disagree with you that a field trial is in anyway similar to a confirmation show. That's almost comical! I can't speak with a lot of FT experience as I am just getting started in that venue but I can tell you that my young FT dog can hunt with any of the others all day, everyday!
    Yes, to each their own, in a FT you can have a bunch of good dogs, great dogs, and one may be better then the rest, but any time the human factor comes into play, decisions can be swayed. Same as in conformation. I have seen dogs loose to inferior dogs in conformation, just because another dog was hot, or their handler was hot, ton of politics involved. Same can be held true for a Open dog, with a name worthy handler?? If all dogs ran clean tests, then how does a judge determine 1st , 2nd etc?? The human factor comes in. In hunt test it's either pass / fail. Period, all human factors are removed. I like that dogs in HT's have prove themselves in "Hunt like" scenarios. No white coats, people in chairs reading and rustling papers to distract a dog. I grew up in Field Trials all my life. Didn't start HT till late 80's early 90's. I prefer HT, more realistic to me is all, and more attainable to the average guy, he passes or does not pass. No missing out because your dog wasn't well known, or handled by the new hot rod Pro handler. No argument that top level dogs , from both styles, would be great hunters. And that a MH couldn't compete in FT, and a FC couldn't compete in HT's.
    Last edited by BAYDOG; 01-30-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Bless your heart.
    I know what that means....my grandma used to say that sometimes .
    Earl Dillow

Baydog, I have been the test marshal at a few hunt tests where dogs were dropped and the handlers wanted to speak to the judges as to the reasons why. The handlers often disagreed with the judge's decision. Isn't that the same thing as you're saying happens in field trials? Any event from football games to bbq cook-offs can be swayed by the "human" component.

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Yeah Charlotte but, don't you think Timmy had some input as a team, where the old guy was on his own. Just saying...Weatherwax or was it Weatherspoon , the various female Lassie trainer said he taught them over a 100 words or commands. Guess after thinking, Lassie trumps Snoopy because Lassie was a real dog.
    I don't know, Earl. This is all way over my head.
    Pretty confused about the whole treat training thread, too.
    Last edited by cakaiser; 01-30-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    I know what that means....my grandma used to say that sometimes .
    It's a great saying. The simplicity of it works so well.

No missing out because your dog wasn't well known, or handled by the new hot rod Pro handler.
    I think about exactly the same amount of judging the holder of the leash occurs at HTs as in FTs--not very much. There are dogs that get passes that shouldn't and some that get dropped that shouldn't have--the human element is at play in both. I think in either venue that this stuff occurs rarely (much less often than many think) and only at the margins but to say it only happens in FTs is wrong.

I grew up in Field Trials all my life..
    I'll call BULLSHIT on this{as well as the rest of what you posted}
    If you grew up in FT's you couldn't have posted that BS

Like JTS I also agree with your statement that you can't fix stupid