The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a best ever???

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    NO.

No, actually there is 9 (GMHR, GRHRCH, MNH, NAFC, NFC, CFC, CAFC, CNFC, CNAFC) . And as has been mentioned, Field trials are competitive by design, hunt tests are not, thus hunt tests/titles do not factor into the discussion.
    OK...let me phrase it this way. She has more accumulated titles than any other dog in history. Regardless of venue, why would you not consider her based on that accomplishment alone?? Because she played hts?? I'll take the versatility over a one trick pony any day...
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    NO.

No, actually there is 9 (GMHR, GRHRCH, MNH, NAFC, NFC, CFC, CAFC, CNFC, CNAFC) . And as has been mentioned, Field trials are competitive by design, hunt tests are not, thus hunt tests/titles do not factor into the discussion.
    NFC NAFC Greatest FT Dog of All time would be useless if it broke at the sound of a duck call every time. FT only test one aspect of a retrievers talents and frankly pretty useless ones at that.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Paul, exactly what is the one aspect and one aspect alone displayed in a field trial? And how is that aspect useless? I'm serious not trying to be sarcastic.
    Last edited by coachmo; 01-30-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I would take a MH , HRCH, MHR , over a FC/AFC any day of the week. Hunt test's , in my opinion, better test a dog. FT are a lot like Conformation shows, in that a lot of the judges and who has influence on those Judges feed into a 1st place and 2nd and so on.... Besides, whens the last time , hunting in the swamp or goose field, you ran a blind past two people in white jackets in lawn chairs reading a newspaper?? (actual test I saw at a Licensed FT Open stake).
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

To each his own but I completely disagree with you that a field trial is in anyway similar to a confirmation show. That's almost comical! I can't speak with a lot of FT experience as I am just getting started in that venue but I can tell you that my young FT dog can hunt with any of the others all day, everyday!

This outta be good!!

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    I would take a MH , HRCH, MHR , over a FC/AFC any day of the week. Hunt test's , in my opinion, better test a dog. FT are a lot like Conformation shows, in that a lot of the judges and who has influence on those Judges feed into a 1st place and 2nd and so on.... Besides, whens the last time , hunting in the swamp or goose field, you ran a blind past two people in white jackets in lawn chairs reading a newspaper?? (actual test I saw at a Licensed FT Open stake).
    FTs are nothing but dogs running out to a guy in a white coat and picking up a bird. What could be easier?

may have a winner?? SRSC FC AFC MHR HRCH DAY'S END HILLVIEW SUPER SUE MH
    Again we need to contemplate the idea of best. This dog would win the most versatile; and while she probably just ran out of time, or own interest I'm pretty sure, that GHRCH is an event that just wasn't ran. Plus she's a female; which make it more noteworthy

Hattie McBunn (great dog herself and a great producer)
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Again we need to contemplate the idea of best. This dog would win the most versatile; and while she probably just ran out of time, or own interest I'm pretty sure, that GHRCH is an event that just wasn't ran. Plus she's a female; which make it more noteworthy

Hattie McBunn (great dog herself and a great producer)
    She had one grand pass...
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Your signature line pretty much sums up your "opinion".