The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Hero-zero and back again

Default Hero-zero and back again

I really hate where I am in training with my pup. She's in the middle of handing just getting to the point where her marking is picking back up, but today I thought I had a big dog one second, then I could've choked her, and then she showed me the vision of her sitting on the podium with a blue ribbon, all in an afternoon of training.

Here's what we did:
    2 sets of 5 singles and 2 short doubles.

Terrain:
    hay fields with steep hills and several undulations which allowed us to work on the dog losing sight of the gunner multiple times enroute to the bird. The wind was 12-15. And we were throwing pheasant except n the water mark where we through plastic.

How she did
    M1- (185 yds) excellent mark front footed bird
    M2- (212 yds) fell down the hill with the wind but recovered before getting to the gunner, split the difference between gunner and bird made a short loop and picked up the bird. She looked nonchalant on this mark, choking time!
    M3- (263 yds) This mark was to be a splash mark in the middle of a cow pond with a 200 yd side hill run and short swim to the bird; but the gunner shorted the throw badly. The mark ended up being a long angle entry with a parallel shore swim, way bigger than she should be able to do. Guess what, she runs a line as straight as an arrow to the pond out to the bird and back. I'm pumped she just did a big dog mark perfectly woo hoo.
    M4- (176 yds) she let the wind push her up the hill on the side hill run and missed the mark but put on a small hunt and came up with the bird.
    M5- (150 yds) excellent mark

I put her up while we threw 5 marks for my buddies dog and a few puppy marks for his pup then got her out for set #2
    M1- (275 yds) the wheels fell off, carried a perfect initial line out to just over 200 yds where she topped the second ridge where she should be able to see the gunner at the top of the hill, but she broke down and hunted near the bottom of the hill, looping madly and working toward the gunner side of the mark just way short and she completely ignored the gunner trying to help. He finally was able to get her attention and tossed her another bumper. He asked if I wanted to rerun that one and honestly she did so bad I didn't see the need to repeat that disaster.
    M2- (282 yds) excellent mark just missed it by a foot or so.
    M3- (303 yds) Now on this mark she gave me the vision of standing beside her for photos with a blue ribbon around her neck. This was by far the toughest mark we threw, once again side hill run with wind pushing down the hill to the bottom and then a side hill climb with the wind pushing up the hill. 2 small ridges on the way down the hil and one on the way up and the cool part was where the mark landed was directly in line with a 5 foot gap between 2 tree stumps (about 50 yds short of the bird) she ran that line perfectly.
    M4- (220yds) another perfect mark
    M5- (188 yds) slight banana looked like she pushed a little against the wind but picked up the bird with a small button hook.

Put her back up as before
    Double # 1- go bird was just a little over 100 yds and the memory bird was about 60 yds, she did excellent on both.
    Double #2- go bird was about 100 yds and the memory bird was about 75 yds, once again she did great on both.

Wish I had taken pictures, these were 2 new fields I have for training and boy they are nice with a bunch of stuff we can work on.

Me likes...

I wouldn't do 14 marks in a training day with a puppy but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Our goal is to do 12 marks per day, 4 days a week. So yes it was a little more than normal. I don't know where I came up with 12 but ever since I've been training I've liked to get 12 marks and 6 blinds done per day, which a great deal of the time is a morning session followed by a late afternoon session. I guess it goes back to my coaching days where I planned every minute of every practice and was a little OCD on exactly the number of repetitions my players would get on all their skills and situations. Yesterday it was all piled together because I had to stay at church late and then had to be back at church at 5:00.

I agree. Should have stopped at M5 set one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Our goal is to do 12 marks per day, 4 days a week. So yes it was a little more than normal. I don't know where I came up with 12 but ever since I've been training I've liked to get 12 marks and 6 blinds done per day, which a great deal of the time is a morning session followed by a late afternoon session. I guess it goes back to my coaching days where I planned every minute of every practice and was a little OCD on exactly the number of repetitions my players would get on all their skills and situations. Yesterday it was all piled together because I had to stay at church late and then had to be back at church at 5:00.

Keep doing what you are doing...Just watch the signs...and stop on a good note.

Why????? Sounds like the dog is about 10-12 months old, maybe more, not a real "pup" any more. It is cool down in Miss. Singles off of multiple guns. Working on specific factors, terrain, distance, water. If the dog is still running with good momentum and has focus and interest after the first set, why not?
    Brett is a competent trainer, knows pretty well what he is doing. Can't say I would not have thrown another set if time allowed.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Thanks mike and Sunday it was a beautiful 61 degrees here I even got to shed the coat and wear shorts. Zee is10 months old. She has wayyyyy! more go, desire and brains than any of my other personal dogs. I found from the get go with her the only way to make her stay focused was to challenge her. The only place I'm not pushing hard is handling, we're taking our time piecing it all together. I looked back in notes to see where the 12 mark thing started and it goes back to something I wrote down back in 04 I heard from a ft pro. If doing triples that's a 4 set up day, 2 on land and 2 on water. Well, when I was training for the public that's what I set as my goal during each week of training. I don't know if it's right or wrong I just like the results.