The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Starter Pistol Caliber

Default Starter Pistol Caliber

If I were to get a starter pistol does the caliber make a difference? I've been looking around there are many calibers and a big difference in prices (mostly in brands). I wasn't going to get anything fancy just have 1 pup to train for hunting. Any suggestions?

I prefer primer pistols

If you're not going to get anything fancy you can probably find a .22 pistol at a pawn shop pretty cheap, and .22 blanks at Menards are $5.96/100. I inherited a .22 and can't justify spending $200 on a primer pistol when it would take me 8000+ primers to save the cost of the pistol over the more expensive price of the .22's. Barring breakdown.
    Daren Galloway

I doubt there are pawn shops in California selling cheap 22 pistols... but I could be wrong. Get a Gun-X 209 pistol and the your have a lifetime guaranteed pistol. There are cheaper alternatives, but more than likely they will last a year or two and break down, and then you'll have spent $200 or more that could have gone towards a reliable product in the first place.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

I like 22 because you can vary the loudness with the selection of the type blank.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I like 22 because you can vary the loudness with the selection of the type blank.
    Me too, although I do own a Gun-X as a back-up.

cr
    VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI

VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

"Real" .22 revolvers are good. Easy on the gunners ears and sound the same to a dog at the line. Lots of folks already have them. If it's legal to use them go ahead. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly before you use real ammunition.

There are however no problems with the gun or wildlife laws if you use an official blank gun.

Primers are about half the cost of .22 blanks. They make sense if you are buying a gun or using a lot of blanks.

The .32 blanks are crazy expensive.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by willidru View Post
    If I were to get a starter pistol does the caliber make a difference? I've been looking around there are many calibers and a big difference in prices (mostly in brands). I wasn't going to get anything fancy just have 1 pup to train for hunting. Any suggestions?
    If you don't plan on training more dogs in the near future I would just go with a primer pistol which are reasonably cheap. Acorn primers for them are also cheap, and it wont be to long before your looking for shotgun blanks for your shotgun. There are other things needed for training that you would be better served in spending your money on. Just my two cents.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)