The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New pup question

Default New pup question

I have a new pup that will be 12 weeks old this Wednesday. I got her when she was 10 weeks, and a few days later started throwing duck wings for her in the house, and she took to them immediately. So middle of last week I had killed some mallards, and also a spoonbill. So out of curiosity I took the spooner into the back yard and introduced her to, and she went bat shit crazy over it, she loved it. So I threw it for her a few times and she picked it up with a good hold and brought it back to me. I quit after 3 to 4 tosses. This weekend I took a teal out of the freezer and threw it for her with the same results as with the spooner. I also throw a few bumpers for her everyday. My question is, can anything negative come from throwing birds for her this early?

No. Not unless you start letting her tear up birds. I would advise at the first sign of trouble quit.

She will soon discover that the ducks are edible too. Then she'll stand over them pulling out clumps of feathers instead of picking them up. When that happens you can stop with the ducks for awhile.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I would lay off the birds. I would instead get her excited about retrieving bumpers or puppy toys. Then when you start training, and your dog starts to lose enthusiasm, you can use birds to help her. If you use birds all the time, you won't have any additional tools.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I would lay off the birds. I would instead get her excited about retrieving bumpers or puppy toys. Then when you start training, and your dog starts to lose enthusiasm, you can use birds to help her. If you use birds all the time, you won't have any additional tools.

10-4. I have only used the birds twice. She goes ape shit for retrieving bumpers as well.

I throw a steady diet of both birds and bumpers. Watch for things like John and Tony mentioned and just don't let it happen. Keep the pup coming to you. My main concern using too many birds is that the pup wont want bumpers anymore and they will need to like bumpers when you get to yard work and drills. So like every other phase of training keep a good balance, and keep the pup loving both.

If the pup is immediately bringing the bird to hand and not trying to run off with it, I'd call it a smashing success and probably stop while you're ahead. At 12 weeks you're just trying to create good habits and introductions so there's no need to go overboard with the edible retrieving object yet.