The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation for dog box. Worth it?

Default Insulation for dog box. Worth it?

Ok so I need some advice. I just bought a dog box with top storage and 2 (100 cfm) fans. The box is diamond plate. I live and train in Alabama, however we do train early in the morning during the summer.
    So my question is do I need to add some sort of insulation inside the box or are the fans and top storage enough for 2 black dogs. Also, is the work of adding insulation worth the benefit? (Obviously I take all other precautions including cold water and a dry dog).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

I would put at least a couple of inches of Styrofoam in the bottom of the top storage to keep the sun heat from beating down on them. 100 cfm fans aren't going to move much air. You should probably have at least 400 cfm per hole.

I have an Ainley 2-dog with top storage and one fan. The top storage space serves as an insulation in itself. I also have the bars around the top of each box. I have two 12v fans that I put in front of each box. The 12v fans push cool air in while the built in fans pull the hot air out.
    My dogs do great during early hrs of summer days. Now, I never put them in the box to cool. I stake them out in shade after they run. If working water, I dry then stake them out.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 01-28-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I guess my only real concern is at a hunt test during hotter weather. You think the air insulation in the top storage is ok or do I need to add styrofoam? Also, the guy that had it before me said it had some crappy corrugated insulation glued to the inside of the walls, but his dogs chewed that up quick.

I had a similar situation with the box that I bought. I removed the corrugated insulation which I found to be useless. It was torn, dirty, etc. Worse yet it would NEVER dry so it probably provide little if any insulation not to mention being a health hazard. I removed it first thing before ever putting my dog in the box. I used "Goo Gone" to remove the glue I see in your picture and then spent a few hours scrubbing, polishing, and disinfecting. I added Duragrid flooring to the boxes to aid in drainage, drying, and comfort. During the winter months I just put my dog's insulated soft floor mat that he normally uses when we are just driving around in my Jeep. The bottom of my top storage is insulated with closed cell foam and it seems to do the trick.

Here's an after shot. I've since changed the fan vent which you see on the roof to a much smoother vent with no fixture inside the dog box.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Scott R.; 01-28-2014 at 05:00 PM.

That looks great! May have to steal that idea.

Diamond plate dog boxes are typically easy bake ovens without insulation. It's possible to take it apart and insulate but not real practical. Add a couple bilge blowers from west marine on a seperate battery with fuse and it may help some.
    Just Win

What do companies like ainley use for insulation?

I have corrugated plastic insulation on the sides and back of my diamond plate box. 1" Styrofoam in the top. Fans keep it cool in summer and I haven't had a problem in the winter.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Thanks for the comments guys