The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Water Bowl

Default Kennel Water Bowl

Looking for a bowl for the outside kennels that the dog cannot tip over/jump in? Never had a problem with just a simple bowl until this dog. Hoping for something to attach to the fence. Something that is not plastic so can't be chewed either. I'm probably looking in the wrong places, but can't find what I need.

Get a metal bucket with a handle and a 2 way clip to clip on fence and handle....hang it a few inches off the ground.

It doesn't have to be flat sided but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.cspecialties.com/contents/en-us/d28.html

You have a Tractor Supply nearby? If they don't have a clip, Home Depot?

The flat buckets won't slow down a determined bucket dumper, and the hooks break off. The best option I've found so far is to use two snaps on opposite sides of the handle and snap them to the kennel as tight as you can.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Once again, they don't make 'em like they used to! I have a pair of buckets with hooks that I bought 6 years ago that are still perfect. I got another one, looked identical, about 2.5 years ago where the hook broke off the second or third day I had it. Remember Sharon? Anyway, the snaps are the answer, probably safer too for a dog that is determined to play with the buckets.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I use the flat sided buckets that have a hook and a handle. I secure them to the fence in my yard or to the door on their crate using snap hooks like you see at the end of the dog leash.

Dogsafield has them, though I think I got mine at either Cabelas or Gundogsupply:

Mine have held up well for over two years so far.

My dog likes to play with the water dishes, but I haven't seen her try to pull them off of the fence (yet).

I need a better solution for winter, though.
    Renee P

I've never seen her play in the water bowl. She is a jumper and she inadvertently knocks it over. So hopefully a bucket snapped to the wire will keep the accidents from happening. Thanks for the suggestions.

A bucket with snaps should fix your problems
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

I had the same problem and at the advice of some great mind on RTF this is what I did and it's worked great....I used the bucket and two way snaps suggested BUT took it a step further. I got a milk crate and put 1/2 of a cement block in the bottom of the milk crate, put the bucket on top of the block (it sits about an inch above the crate) and then clipped the bucket handle to the kennel. Mine is a chewer too but for some reason he's never chewed the crate nor has he turned the bucket/crate over. It's made life much easier. Thanks again RTF.

get the bucket that does not have the hanger hook where in mounts to the bucket exposed. They make them where the hook is inset into the bucket. I have seen a bucket like Mitty posted hanging from a dog's testicles...
    Get this kind, http://www.dog.com/item/proselect-st...FeZj7Aod_kkAOA and then do like Sharon said two snaps , fairly high
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com