The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lost Dog, Big Reward!!!! (GDG GDG GDG)

Default Lost Dog, Big Reward!!!! (GDG GDG GDG)

I was driving through town yesterday and saw a poster, about 3' by 5', with a photo of a cute little terrier border collie mix. In huge letters it advertised, "Reward, $2,500". I had to stop and back up to see if I had read that right. I had. They gave a name and phone number, and added "no questions asked". Now do not get me wrong, if one of mine were gone I would move heaven and earth to get them back, and probably be willing to pay any price. But advertising in this way seems to open the door to all kinds of criminal scams. Scenario 1: Bad guy calls the number, "I've got your dog" and gives the owners directions to wherever he chooses to meet them. He greets them knowing they have $2,500 cash, with a gun. Gone. Scenario 2: Bad guy reads the sign, and goes on a mission to steal a dog if that's what they are bringing these days. It seems to me I have seen more and more of these big rewards posted on Craigslist or on posters. I fear that they will lead to even more lost dogs. Has anyone else seen this going on? There are so many ways to look for a pet, but I can't think of any way to kindly tell these people they may be creating a bigger problem. Sorry, just kind of shook me up. My dogs don't go out without me, period!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I don't know if that's a scam or not but by the title of your thread I thought you lost one of yours. I was glad to see that it wasn't.

Scenario One: The dog owner holds all the cards. They tell the person wanting the cash reward where to meet, like maybe in front of the local police station.....doing anything else would be foolish.

Scenario Two: How would a thief know which dog is worth a big reward?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I have heard that any area that has a lot of missing dogs likely has a dog fighting ring very close...... There has been a lot of dogs missing an hour or so south of here, that makes me nervous.

A dog getting stolen has always been a huge fear. It is why I made the decision to make Beamer a house dog.... Very glad I did for a ton of other reasons. But if a car ever left a park or public area I had been working with Beamer at at the same time i didI would drive the opposite direction..... Paranoid, yeah probably, but one time I was sure a car was following me after the driver had watched us train for a while...... This may sound silly, but realistically what all of our dogs are worth, both monetarily and emotionally, the thought of someone stealing one and not really knowing what they have makes me cringe.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

How about posting a sign saying, "my dog has a GPS tracker microchip...... You have until.... Before the police show up at your door". Come to think of it that would be good technology.... Could even then have an app to track the dogs, could make judging/drawing accurate lines a snap...... A little print out after each series, this dog traveled the shortest distance to complete the series....... This dog was second.... Wow ADD much Fritz, oh wait I have a beer.....
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

It did get you to stop your car and back up to read the poster. For all the bad things that could happen, having more honest folks take a look at the poster seems to me like a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    How about posting a sign saying, "my dog has a GPS tracker microchip...... You have until.... Before the police show up at your door". Come to think of it that would be good technology.... Could even then have an app to track the dogs, could make judging/drawing accurate lines a snap...... A little print out after each series, this dog traveled the shortest distance to complete the series....... This dog was second.... Wow ADD much Fritz, oh wait I have a beer.....
    So glad you added that you had a beer, I was about to get one!

Sounds like Gay Focker and Jinxy the cat.