The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to enlighten a "Rookie", suggestions

Default Trying to enlighten a "Rookie", suggestions

I have some friends that are getting into training dogs. I am trying to round up some info to help enlighten them on the "Dog Games" subject as a whole. I've emailed them some links to some web sites explaining health clearances and what not to do as far as breeding goes. They are the typical "my dog hunts so I can train others and make $500/month easy and then breed my great hunter and make money on pups" type. It has really been eating on me so instead of knocking it, I have decided to attempt to give them as much knowledge as possible so that hopefully they'll make the right decisions and not become the next set of "Backyard Breeders". On a positive note they will be following Lardy's program. Thanks

Valiant effort, but “you can’t fix stupid”…… If you have agood training group, take them to a training day and let them see what a HRCHor a GHRRCH is capable of doing. That might be enough for them to realize thereis a big difference in a “meat dog” and a “hunt test dog”.
    SHR Goodwins Hat Creek Hound "Gus"

They are typical "All hat and no cattle" folks and there isn't any program that can kelp. They could probably use some humbling but with what I have seen it might not work either. Send them a link to this thread and maybe.....
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

The market will tell them if they are really qualified to run a business training dogs or not. NO point in you beating your head against the wall. I might rather put some distance between myself and them, lest the small community of people who might be judging your dog in the future come to see you as part of their group.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    The market will tell them if they are really qualified to run a business training dogs or not. NO point in you beating your head against the wall. I might rather put some distance between myself and them, lest the small community of people who might be judging your dog in the future come to see you as part of their group.
    Not true down here, plenty shingles hung out with nothing under neath them. Website and trailer is pretty much all you need for instant credibility in our part of the world.

Plenty of sheep to go around Regards

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool...shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is willing...teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep...awaken him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise...follow him.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Not true down here, plenty shingles hung out with nothing under neath them. Website and trailer is pretty much all you need for instant credibility in our part of the world.

Plenty of sheep to go around Regards
    Bingo! This is my fear!

Bring 'em over to Port Arthur, TX in a couple of weeks and have them watch Masters for a while and talk to some good folks. You can't be that far away. Have them look at the average age of the MH dogs and then step down to SR n JR for a bit. If that doesn't educate them you have done your best and let it go from there.

Do remember though that there are way more very loved "meat dogs" than dogs that can and do go further. There even might be room in the world for all of us.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Not about elitism or snobbery John its about qualifications. I am not qualified to do brain surgery and I know that, these peeps aren't qualified to train rocking horses but they Don't know that. Low information clients also don't know they have no qualifications but the appearance (mirrors & lights) portend that they are all that and a bag of chips.

I know what you are saying, but watching well-trained dogs handled by experienced handlers may have the opposite effect.

My first experience with the dog games, even before I had a dog, was a Derby that a friend of mine was judging. I never said this out loud, thank God, but I remember thinking that it could not be all that difficult to walk up there, let your dog watch a couple birds go down, and let him pick them up. I even remember thinking I didn't understand why my friend and his training group spent all day every Saturday and Sunday training for these field trial things. Looked pretty easy to me.

Almost three years in on my first dog, and I can laugh about the experience in the preceding paragraph now. I didn't know enough to even begin to appreciate what I was watching and what it took to get Derby dogs to that level, much less Q or AA dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Bring 'em over to Port Arthur, TX in a couple of weeks and have them watch Masters for a while and talk to some good folks. You can't be that far away. Have them look at the average age of the MH dogs and then step down to SR n JR for a bit. If that doesn't educate them you have done your best and let it go from there.

Do remember though that there are way more very loved "meat dogs" than dogs that can and do go further. There even might be room in the world for all of us.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"