The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popping

Default popping

I am currenty having some difficulties with the single t. We first started with forcing to the pile with no issues. She was running anywhere from fifty yards to one hundred to the pile. She knows her directions with casting but every time I send her from side or in front of me she is trying anticipate the whistle. We went back to force to the pile with no issues. Went back to the single t and if whistle is in my mouth or.she here's it go up she will pop. Any suggestions to work through this issue. She always gets plenty of backs without a whistle. It's like she is thinking to much.

Have you done force en route on your FTP? Have you applied it when she pops on the T? That's what it's there for....
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

May sound dumb, but you said she pops anytime the whistle is in your mouth. Are you sure you aren't making any sound with the whistle- unintentionally blowing a little air through without noticing. Her hearing is far better than yours and if she hears a little air coming through, she may think it is a sit whistle.

And what are you doing when she pops?
    Mary Clark
    Chill By Harness Creek
    Working towards our MH

With Newpup I'm learning to have the whistle between my front teeth all the time.

I don't believe so. When I send her is running slow and waiting for it turning her head back at me. Sometimes it will be two feet and others will be at the normal stop point. When I sit her in front of me and have a pile 15 yards behind her and a pile to each side it is flawless. The second we extend it out 10 yards it just go back to a nightmare.

Yes I have done force to the pile and I have applied pressure when we pops with the follow command back, then pressure, and another back command and she goes back.

Also her right over is awful and her left is straight over. When I blow the whistle for a site she always turns to her left to sit. Any help here would be great.

We have been at this for over a week not with no real improvement. I'm thinking of taking a couple day break work on something new and fun and returning to it because I am getting frustrated with it.

I am a self-acknowledged very non-expert. But most everyone will tell you that dogs are left and right handed just like we are. So you're dog is "right handed" (i.e., when you're sending her to your right, it's her left and vice versa.)

I don't know which program you're using, but it seems to me that there are some principles that ought to be generally applicable:

When the dog is anticipating the whistle, don't give it to her. Drive her back. Anticipate the pop, yell "back" the second her gait begins to change... or even before. Twenty to one... or more. Don't stop her until she's showing good momentum. If, in your program, that means working on FTP, then that's where you are for a while.

Crooked sits: Don't worry about it until she's driving hard. But when you get back to whistle sits, if you have a crooked sit, teach her a command like "straight". She doesn't get to go or get the handle until she's facing you straight on.

Again, this is nothing you'll worry about until you get her momentum back. But when you are once again handling, think about your cadence. Make her wait. Think about your body language. With Newpup (my 11 month old BLF) I count to 10, sometimes 20... I try to cue her with a slight shift of my body before the actual handle happens. (And this only works, of course, if I have her eyes on me.) If a slight shift of my body is not enough, the next time I'll do a do a walk-out over. Whatever it takes to help her get the picture.

Give the dog a lot of "free runs" to the back pile---no stopping.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I would consult with a local pro or experienced, successful amateur who can watch you.
    This :

"When I send her is running slow and waiting for it turning her head back at me. Sometimes it will be two feet and others will be at the normal stop point. When I sit her in front of me and have a pile 15 yards behind her and a pile to each side it is flawless. The second we extend it out 10 yards it just go back to a nightmare.

Yes I have done force to the pile and I have applied pressure when we pops with the follow command back, then pressure, and another back command and she goes back."

None of that is the attitude you want to foster. If you don't change something it will get worse, not better. Her FTP clearly didn't get the message across if this is what you're getting after a week on T. You need someone who knows what they're doing to watch you and help you back up and fix what went wrong. At this stage the dog should be positively dying to get to the pile, not dreading it.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

Quote Originally Posted by smoof View Post
    I don't believe so. When I send her is running slow and waiting for it turning her head back at me. Sometimes it will be two feet and others will be at the normal stop point. When I sit her in front of me and have a pile 15 yards behind her and a pile to each side it is flawless. The second we extend it out 10 yards it just go back to a nightmare.

Yes I have done force to the pile and I have applied pressure when we pops with the follow command back, then pressure, and another back command and she goes back.

Also her right over is awful and her left is straight over. When I blow the whistle for a site she always turns to her left to sit. Any help here would be great.

We have been at this for over a week not with no real improvement. I'm thinking of taking a couple day break work on something new and fun and returning to it because I am getting frustrated with it.
    Are you moving back or moving the pile?

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Give the dog a lot of "free runs" to the back pile---no stopping.
    Yes, build confidence
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

We have gone back to the basic and one pile. We do about 15 to 20 bumpers in a session at 30 to 40 yards. The drive is getting better. As I see her slowing done and I giving another back command and she speeds up. Would it be a good idea to change the place I do it at or keep it the same.