The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dogtra 3500 NCP

Default Dogtra 3500 NCP

I am looking at a replacement e-collar and considering the Dogtra 3500 NCP? My previous one was a Tri-tronics Pro 500. I loved the Tri-Tronics collar but lost the transmitter on a pheasant hunt in South Dakota.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions you can share.

John

For what it's worth, I've used one for about a year. It's worked fine. One time I inadvertently let the collar battery run down. I plugged it into the inverter in my Jeep and had enough charge in 20 minutes for a training session.

I have a 3500NCP 2-dog I got used; about 4 or 5 years old. I also have 2 older Dogtras, a 2000NC and 1200NC. Compared to them the 3500 doesn't hold a charge nearly as long, used regularly it needs to be charged weekly compared to monthly on the 1200 and 2 or 3x a year on the oldest one, the 2000. But, it charges in 2 hrs compared to 12 hrs for the older ones. I don't use the paging feature, so can't really comment on that. I've always used Dogtras so that's what I'm used to but, they do run hotter than TT and have different stimulation settings: 0-100 compared to 3 levels of low, medium and high. All 3 of my collars have been very reliable and only need batteries replaced every 3 or 4 years.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Excellent collar. I have several. It is as durable, reliable, and consistent as ANY TT product on the market for a couple hundred dollars less than the 500!! Give Dogtra a look...you won't be disappointed.
    FWIW, if you need customer service, it is second to none.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

John I have the 1900 and only need to charge the batteries once every three weeks. I have heard the batteries in the 3500 will last longer than the 1900 and 1200 models
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

The batteries in the 3500 are lithium polymer...the 1900 is Ni-mh...lithium has less memory, longer life, and faster recharge.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

I have the 3500 and 1900. from purely a use standpoint I think the 1900 is much more consistent, if that is the word I want to use, than the 3500. I have always used Dogtra, and will, but the 3500 in my opinion was not their best effort.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Bruce, what do you mean by consistent?? Just asking. I have several 3500's a 1900 and an older 280 gold. The only difference to me is the physical size of the transmitters, the range, and the battery life. My 3500's have been my go to for years. I understand that everybody likes what they like..just curious about the consistency part...that's all.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    John I have the 1900 and only need to charge the batteries once every three weeks. I have heard the batteries in the 3500 will last longer than the 1900 and 1200 models
    That is my experience also. Dogtra is good to go.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

With the 1900 a 4, (or 40), is a 4, always. With the 3500, at least mine, a 4 sometimes is a 5 some times a 2. I am constantly adjusting for the level I want, on my own dogs . I have had the unit back to the factory and everything checked so it's not a glaring malfunction, rather an annoyance. My experience only
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.