The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Executive Orders?

More reality (including links) regarding executive orders http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ce...b_4705277.html
    Last edited by Henry V; 02-01-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Reality and huffington post are rarely bedfellows.

And after reading the article my assumption is correct. This had the level of rhetoric of a third grader. You could have switched executive order with peanut butter and jelly and the message was the same. Of course most presidents will have the same stock of executive orders and there will be a lot of similarities. It is the dissimilar ones that regard noting that the article fails to address. Like I said before, this article could have explained how bush and Obama made PBJ the same and so that means they are the same president who use their powers the same.

Every now and then the huffington post has something good, this was not one of those times

Mud, your opinion doesn't count because you didn't provide a link to a story on the internet.

I am forced to ask which orders are we arguing are unconstitutional?
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I am forced to ask which orders are we arguing are unconstitutional?
    Same question asked before and remains unanswered. All rhetoric no substance in the echo chamber.
    Attack the messenger regards.

The president changing implementation of a law without congressional approval is unconstitutional.

The president appointing folks during recess is unconstitutional.

Having a president pick a lucky few to die over breakfast in the Oval Office while not at war with any country is unconstitutional.

Indefinite detention of american citizens is unconstitutional

Targeting American citizens with drones is unconstitutional

This president has done all of the aforementioned acts.

Damn it! I had to come here and read mudminnow's post knocked a few more points off of my IQ.

I keep hearing republicans (yes I always neglect to capitalize that to show disrespect) say that it isn't the quantity of Obama's executive orders, it's the QUALITY! They so outstep the bounds of what previous presidents have done, we are now entering the new realm of the "imperial presidency!" Dictator I tell ya, Obama's a dictator!!! What a steaming pile of crap.

What executive orders would you mr. mudminnow put in the same category of say Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation - an executive order? How about Truman's executive order to desegregate the armed forces? What about when Nixon tried to freeze wages and prices by executive order? What about when FDR established the War Relocation Authority to forcibly move Japanese-Americans into relocation camps for the duration of WWII? What about when Woodrow Wilson established the committee on Public Information - war propaganda?

But then again, they weren't half black guys.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-01-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

The president changing implementation of a law without congressional approval is unconstitutional.

The president has a lot of authority in how he tells his depts. to interpret a law. I would have to hear the specific complaint to comment further, he should stay within the constrains of the law there is a lot of latitude in how it goes into effect.

The president appointing folks during recess is unconstitutional.

Recess appointments are in fact written into the constitution in Article 2 section 2.

Having a president pick a lucky few to die over breakfast in the Oval Office while not at war with any country is unconstitutional.

The president was given authority by the war powers act to conduct military actions by the war powers act. It was written in the 70's.

Indefinite detention of American citizens is unconstitutional

I am not aware of any American citizens being indefinitely detained. The President however does have the authority to do so thanks to the National Defense Act of 2011. He had threatened to veto the bill because that language was included, but for whatever reason signed it into law.

Targeting American citizens with drones is unconstitutional

The president took an oath to protect the country from all enemies foreign and domestic. It is central to his job as Commander in Chief. With that in mind, he has stated that American citizens acting as enemy combatants overseas actively involved in operations against the United States in instances where their capture was not feasible would be valid targets. This also seems to be inline with the constitution.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Yep my head is about to explode, were you trying to list every awful president buzz? Please don't get me started on Lincoln again. This week is the anniversary of his ordered total war through my home state so I am a bit on edge already.

And Henlee, just because something is legal does not mean it is unconstitutional. The war powers act, in my opinion are constitutional and are not what our founding g fathers would have wanted. And the president ordered a strike that kille a teenaged American who had a terrorist for a father and little other reason.

Our big divide here is whether you trust government or not. The more trust you have in government, the more likely you are to be fine with more centralized power. Can good things happen through executive orders? Yes, can awful things happen through executive orders? Yes.

That is too much power for one man to have in my opinion.

But hey I am just a crazy conservative Christian libertarian(borderline anarcho-capitalist). Bush was just as bad as Barry with the executive orders and overstepping the restraints of the constitution. Instead of going back and following the constitution, Barry has used bush as precedent for his steps over the line
    Last edited by mudminnow; 02-02-2014 at 04:07 PM.