The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: The Question of Dew-Claws

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • I expect a breeder to remove them, and would not buy a dog with it's dew-claws intact

112 42.26%
  • I prefer dew-claws to be removed, but would consider a breeding where they were left intact.

87 32.83%
  • Dew-claws are not a consideration to me. It doesn't matter to me whether they are left intact or not

25 9.43%
  • I would prefer dew-claws to be left intact and more breeders should consider this option.

41 15.47%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dew claw poll

Default Dew claw poll

As there seems to be very many different opinions on whether to leave Dew-claws on or not, and it actually seems to be favoring the leave them on crowd. I figured why not start a poll to see where the majority lies.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-21-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Seems so far that folks are not NEARLY as polarized about having them removed
    as it once was considered uber-taboo(and amateurish) to leave them in place.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure there is another poll a few years old that was MUCH more polarized on the issue.

/

I think it is more indicative that lots just don't care to partake of the same ol' same ol anymore.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

To me a good Vet is priceless. When mine told me she would NOT remove dews I had a choice. Find another Vet or leave dews on. Since I prefer my dogs to be kept healthy I reluctantly went along with my Vet. I asked for her info on why she does not want to remove dews and was given a copy of a study done by a respectable University that showed the possibility of wrist problems later in life for ones with dews removed. This being said I am 71 years old and have haad dogs since I can remember and have never had a dog tear a dew claw. I have had FT Pointers , hounds and Labs.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

If you ever get in the water with a dog you don't want one in the water with you which has dew claws. If the dog looks pretty and goes to dog shows as the primary function they are usually left alone.

Hmm I missed an option on the poll, I should've put the other extreme. As In I want a dog with Dew-claws and would not purchase a pup which has them removed. Still seems as with most things, opinions are blending towards the middle, however majority preference so far reflects a ~80% removal preference. So seller & breeder wise, removal seem would seem the safest choice. As in you could lose sales, if you left the dew-claws intact. It would be interesting to see if you also lose them if they aren't left intact. I doubt that to be the case, but who knows.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I started removing them ages ago when I foxhunted and raised hound pups; the huntsman cut them off at 2 or 3 days with surgical scissors and removed them from the first 2 Chesapeake litters I had. He even showed me how, but being a tad squeamish I've had the vet remove them since then. Doesn't really make any difference to me; the one dog I own that has them hasn't really had any problems with them as hers are tight to her feet with small nails. However as I said in the last thread, two recent puppy buyers wanted them left on and since it was a small litter and the other buyers didn't care, I didn't remove them.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Every dog here has and will have their thumbs, pretty show dogs, hunt test dogs and dogs in hunting homes alike. Crusty icy snow is horrible here (especially this year!), we train in all sorts of fields and swim in plenty of stick ponds.... no problems. I do swim with my dogs and funny enough have many friends with newfys that train for water rescue... all have dews.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    If the dog looks pretty and goes to dog shows as the primary function they are usually left alone.
    I've found the opposite to be true--the show folks have stated they like the "clean" look of the front legs without them. It's a disqualification for CBRs to have rear dew claws, but I've never had any on my pups and only ever seen one CBR with rear dews. The two buyers that wanted them left on were avid hunters and believed the dew claws helped with traction in rough or icy terrain.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Hmm I missed an option on the poll, I should've put the other extreme. As In I want a dog with Dew-claws and would not purchase a pup which has them removed. Still seems as with most things, opinions are blending towards the middle, however majority preference so far reflects a ~80% removal preference. So seller & breeder wise, removal seem would seem the safest choice. As in you could lose sales, if you left the dew-claws intact. It would be interesting to see if you also lose them if they aren't left intact. I doubt that to be the case, but who knows.
    I won't vote because none of your options apply to me.

I don't have a strong opinion right now about the dew claws but after reading through some of the responses I would lean towards keeping them on. But if I found a must-have pup, and the pup had had the dews removed, I would get it. At least that is how I feel today.

Does anyone know about the dews in other canid species like wolves? Wolves must do fine with them; the idea that they are a hazard in our pet pooches doesn't make sense to me.
    Renee P