The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Need help

  1. #21

    Default

    It is not fair not to contact the breeder, both to the breeder and to the breed.[/QUOTE]

    Please explain why it would not be fair to contact the breeder. She offers a health guarantee.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    You can also, should you choose to do it, have cataract surgery done on this dog. Otherwise, her vision will get poorer and poorer. They usually do one eye at a time. I don't now if your eye vet mentioned it, or not.

    What a shame.... I feel for the pup you have...
    He did not offer that. Does anyone know what the avg cost would be.

  3. #23
    Senior Member DoubleHaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    N. Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyocean1642 View Post
    It is not fair not to contact the breeder, both to the breeder and to the breed.
    Please explain why it would not be fair to contact the breeder. She offers a health guarantee.
    It is not fair *not* to contact the breeder. Even if you were good with it is a genetic defect that the breeder should know about when considering future breedings.

  4. #24
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyocean1642 View Post
    The dog was advertised as a "started dog." However, after getting her I realized it was more socialization training more than anything. As far as the dog goes I am happy with what I got. She is really good with my kids and is great in the house. She has good drive and has a passion to retrieve birds. The only issue is with the vision. I guess an any of this stuff your going to spend a lot of money so my word choice was a little off when I said a good bit of money.
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like you have your direction. Stuff happens. I admittedly get suspicious on 'English Lab' breeders as despite many wonderful breeders (many on this site) there are hundreds I'd like to shake by the neck. If the health guarantee WAS amongst reasons for selection...that's one reason to exercise your next step.

    The 'started' comment is a flag but it's over and done now.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  5. #25

    Default

    yes the health guarantee was one of the reasons I purchased from this breeder. I am not mad, not gonna throw anyone under the bus. Yeah, I mean the started thing isn't a huge deal. She is with a great trainer that has really helped her advance in her obedience, steadiness and he has pointed out things that I may have otherwise not noticed. I will not get rid of her regardless of what the outcome is. However, I would prefer if the breeder honored the health guarantee with another puppy. Like I said I am not here to bash I just needed a little direction with this and how to proceed.

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like you have your direction. Stuff happens. I admittedly get suspicious on 'English Lab' breeders as despite many wonderful breeders (many on this site) there are hundreds I'd like to shake by the neck. If the health guarantee WAS amongst reasons for selection...that's one reason to exercise your next step.

    The 'started' comment is a flag but it's over and done now.

  6. #26

    Default

    Update. Talked with the breeder and she is gonna get me a list of things she needs in order to honor the health guarantee. Like vet records, etc. I sent her a copy of the eye exam which she has. Just wondering what any of this has to do with a genetic defect. Just figured I would give an update. It irks me when people start these threads and then never update. LoL

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Absolutely go back to the breeder. Juvenile cataracts are hereditary so the breeder needs to know AND you need to have them honor their guarantee.

    Meredith
    x2. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the breeder for a health issue. That's why you have a contract. Good luck
    God bless!- Jamee

    When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

    My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

    Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

  8. #28

    Default

    Breeder sent me this back today. Is this stuff pretty standard for the breeders on this site.

    1. Please submit a copy of Zulu's contract bearing both your and my signatures as well as the stamp from the DATAMARS identification system verifying Zulu's microchip number (the stamp should be located on the first and last pages of the contract);

    2. Please submit a diagnosis and/or letter from a state certified veterinarian and/or veterinary orthopedic specialist providing:

    a) verification that the dog has been scanned and a microchip matching that on Zulu's contract has been detected;
    b) a statement that she/he is the physician who examined the dog and signed the letter and diagnosis;
    b) a diagnosis which describes a cataract matching that of the one on her OFA report;
    c) a diagnosis that the cataract is definitively heritable in cause;
    d) a diagnosis that the cataract is severe enough to prevent Zulu from functioning as a gun dog; and
    e) a diagnosis that the catarct is irreversible/incurable in nature.


    Since Zulu's microchip number was not indicated on the OFA report, we can verify the report by doing the following:

    3. Please submit a letter on the organization's letterhead bearing Dr. Barrett Gift's original signature which states:
    Zulu's microchip number and
    that the dog indicated on the OFA report had been scanned and the microchip number above was detected immediately prior to the eye exam performed on 1/28/2014.



    If you could just get all of these together in one folder, send a hard copy packet with original signatures (a photocopy of Zulu's purchase contract is sufficient) to:


  9. #29
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyocean1642 View Post
    Breeder sent me this back today. Is this stuff pretty standard for the breeders on this site.

    1. Please submit a copy of Zulu's contract bearing both your and my signatures as well as the stamp from the DATAMARS identification system verifying Zulu's microchip number (the stamp should be located on the first and last pages of the contract);

    2. Please submit a diagnosis and/or letter from a state certified veterinarian and/or veterinary orthopedic specialist providing:

    a) verification that the dog has been scanned and a microchip matching that on Zulu's contract has been detected;
    b) a statement that she/he is the physician who examined the dog and signed the letter and diagnosis;
    b) a diagnosis which describes a cataract matching that of the one on her OFA report;
    c) a diagnosis that the cataract is definitively heritable in cause;
    d) a diagnosis that the cataract is severe enough to prevent Zulu from functioning as a gun dog; and
    e) a diagnosis that the catarct is irreversible/incurable in nature.


    Since Zulu's microchip number was not indicated on the OFA report, we can verify the report by doing the following:

    3. Please submit a letter on the organization's letterhead bearing Dr. Barrett Gift's original signature which states:
    Zulu's microchip number and
    that the dog indicated on the OFA report had been scanned and the microchip number above was detected immediately prior to the eye exam performed on 1/28/2014.



    If you could just get all of these together in one folder, send a hard copy packet with original signatures (a photocopy of Zulu's purchase contract is sufficient) to:

    I'm not a breeder. I am wondering what the contract you have with your breeder says about all that stuff she/he says you must produce. Was this spelled out in the health guarantee you got with your pup? Mine for example says "free of heritable eye disease," it says nothing about whether the disease makes the dog unfit for being a gun dog.

    Vet says cataracts. Trainer says your dog can't see. Seems cut and dried to me, so if none of those requirements are spelled out in the health guarantee I'd be super miffed.
    Renee P

  10. #30
    Senior Member Sharon Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    What breeder doesn't keep a copy of the signed contract? I give one to the buyer and one goes in my file.

    And eye disease is eye disease. If the contract isn't specific and inclusive of all the breeder is now asking for in that regard, the breeder doesn't get to change it now.
    Sharon Potter

    www.redbranchkennels.net

    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

    Team Huntsmith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •