The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun shipment

Default gun shipment

Is it legal to ship a gun in the mail to an idividual? person to person

Not unless that person has a class III Federal Firearms License....basically legally speaking it has to be shipped from one FFL to another FFL (such as a Cabelas to their Local gun store) the receiver then has to complete the Brady Act and pay the fee to take possession of that firearm..

Go to GunBroker.com and they have a list of FFL holders in your area and that of the receiver
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Not unless that person has a class III Federal Firearms License....basically legally speaking it has to be shipped from one FFL to another FFL (such as a Cabelas to their Local gun store) the receiver then has to complete the Brady Act and pay the fee to take possession of that firearm..

Go to GunBroker.com and they have a list of FFL holders in your area and that of the receiver
    So im guessing you would have to pay each store fees for the process? sounds like a pain in the a$$

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLattuca View Post
    So im guessing you would have to pay each store fees for the process? sounds like a pain in the a$$
    Over the years I have shipped guns, and to my knowledge it has always been the same. Yes there is some cost involved, but it isn't a big deal. I just go down to my local gun shop and tell them where I want them shipped to. They package them and do the shipping. Yes you do need to fill out a background check when you go pick up the gun, just as you do when you purchase a new one. You always have the option to transport them yourself...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

An individual can ship a firearm but it must be received by an FFL holder and the paperwork must be completed at the time of pickup. Most FFL's charge around 25.00 to do the paperwork. Make sure before you ship it the firearm is legal in the state you are shipping to.

Does that mean that there is then a record of the transaction and who owns the gun? If so, that's the part to which I would object.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Does that mean that there is then a record of the transaction and who owns the gun? If so, that's the part to which I would object.
    There is a record of the TRANSFER, not necessarily the transaction

For example

1. when my brother gave me an O/U a few years back, he paid a fee to his local Galyans(now Dick's )and paid 25.00 to send it to me...I upon receiving it at a local gunshop paid the Brady fee and filled out the paperwork and took the gun home

2. when I bought my current skeet gun a couple of years ago I made the transaction thru Gun Broker and paid with a service named Gun Pal but they handle and specialize in firearms transactions, it was all done electronically within minutes..the seller asked where I wanted it sent, so I found a local guy with a FFL and gave him the transaction info and the sellers info, He took care of it from there, the seller paid on his end, I paid for shipping, and again paid the Brady fee to pick up my gun..Tedious but easy as 1-2-3

The only things that slows up the process is if your DL info is inaccurate as in address or is expired, the agents are then required to deny the Brady check
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Is it changing ownership?

You can ship a gun to a gunsmith, for repair, even though he doesnt have a FFL. That gunsmith can ship the gun back to you, without going through a FFL for return shipping.

So, Person to person is OK under some circumstance.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Back to my original question. Does that mean that there is then a record of who owns what firearm? Does the govt now know that you have possession of a weapon?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com