The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    First limiting the entry numbers per handler will backfire, just as the change to limit entries. IMO, Last years' loading up of tests were driven by the location of the MN. In CO most tests filled up within days vs. in years past you could wait until the last week or even the day before with no limits. The clubs near by this years MN will see the same action.
    I think that is where the biggest benefit of having limits comes in--for the clubs for which the MN is close in a given year. With no limits, a club may get twice its usual entries and not have the grounds to split the stakes that much, so the limit helps them.

Interestingly around here we are seeing more and more double MH stakes run by clubs that have good grounds and help. To keep them within sane limits of dogs, they are limiting and those are the ones that tend to get filled early, because of the obvious draw of a double.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    First limiting the entry numbers per handler will backfire, just as the change to limit entries. IMO, Last years' loading up of tests were driven by the location of the MN. In CO most tests filled up within days vs. in years past you could wait until the last week or even the day before with no limits. The clubs near by this years MN will see the same action.

The earlier estimate on cost, like mentioned, it was missing some substantial costs like birds, the formula is #entries X 1.2 X $10. Also the paid help was off by $1200. Most of our paid help get a minimum of $50 for JH/SH and $75 for MH (usually a 10 hour day). We do not pay live gunners as that is a position of valor. There are times I want to go up to the "ivory gallery" and pass a hat for donations just after I take a gunny sack of dead birds out to the longest mark on a re-bird. Oh' ya, I just came off a popper station to run my dog then back in the field again 'cause I got a pretty throw, or at least the one the judge likes.

In past years' posts over the future of the Club, it was mentioned or noted that "is your club a club of like minded individuals PARTICIPATING in a common activity" or has has it become JUST a mechanism to conduct a Test and the community of the Club is an afterthought. Most are of the latter. There are very few that jump to action to get the test planned and implemented ahead of time. Because the burn out of these certain few, a known test is always threatened to be canceled before someone else steps forward. I suspect you'll see less double Master tests and more canceled tests unless the Club participation level increases as a social Club than a Club just running tests. Clubs that want a true Club test may want to consider dropping MN membership to keep the numbers more manageable or at least a break even. But this means no paid help and all hands on deck in the field. This option has been discussed by Clubs two years ago when the MN was going to raise the membership fee, to cut cost this was an option but the argument was that the Club would loose Pros coming to the test. When you look at the number of members (armatures) putting on a MN campaign, this is less than 10% or 3-4 members in a club of 45 members, moving back to a sport/social event makes sense.
    Great post. Would add though that 10% is sometimes a big part of the backbone putting on the test.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

No one Suggested what might be a reasonable limit? Also if this a limit per stake or a limit per test. 15-20 MH dogs seems excessive, but does 5 in JH, 5 in SH and 5 MH? What is fair. If it's 5, 6, or 7, in an MH stake most pros would not reach that number. If it's 5, 6,or 7 for an entire test, the pro would most likely just run the MN qualifying master dogs.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-31-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Limiting the number of dogs registered at a level in one day by one person Lets say seven, that way the test will not fill in just one day. This way you will have a nice blend of pros and ams. The biggest frustration comes when in the blink of an eye they are filled up. Pros can register as many dogs as desired but just seven a day at each level. Would that work? I am not a pro and do not know what problems that would cause for them.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

The trainer would have his clients register the dogs for the test. So limiting the number of dogs per person a day would not work. A 60 dog limit makes a long 2 days for a guy running one dog. I would be willing to pay more to keep smaller groups.

Quote Originally Posted by billbe View Post
    The trainer would have his clients register the dogs for the test. So limiting the number of dogs per person a day would not work. A 60 dog limit makes a long 2 days for a guy running one dog. I would be willing to pay more to keep smaller groups.
    It makes longer days working/judging the test!!! How much more per stake would you honestly be willing to pay?

Again I'll point back to the 19 tests ahead of the MN in the fall had sell-outs in 5 tests, all 60 dog limits.

Smaller or grounds starved clubs are likely those that had an issue. Regional, seasonal, club specific.

I recall a post last year someone made a claim about this issue. I went back and researched that test. He was full of bullhockey.

If you have small club or want to test in a small limit stake, be proactive and find out when the entries open, before they open. Let's not create a bunch of rules for issues that one can likely resolve through being proactive.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Again I'll point back to the 19 tests ahead of the MN in the fall had sell-outs in 5 tests, all 60 dog limits.

Smaller or grounds starved clubs are likely those that had an issue. Regional, seasonal, club specific.

I recall a post last year someone made a claim about this issue. I went back and researched that test. He was full of bullhockey.
    had m
    If you have small club or want to test in a small limit stake, be proactive and find out when the entries open, before they open. Let's not create a bunch of rules for issues that one can likely resolve through being proactive.
    Easy for you to say if you're not affected. Right now I am interested in entering the spring HTs. I have had many fill up in very short time. When a few pros fill up a MH in a matter of minutes, then that is a problem. Period.

I'm happy for you that you don't have pros in your circuit that run 20+ dogs and that your Masters don't fill up. Please don't belittle those that do have very real problems entering.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Gassner View Post
    Easy for you to say if you're not affected. Right now I am interested in entering the spring HTs. I have had many fill up in very short time. When a few pros fill up a MH in a matter of minutes, then that is a problem. Period.

I'm happy for you that you don't have pros in your circuit that run 20+ dogs and that your Masters don't fill up. Please don't belittle those that do have very real problems entering.

John
    Whoa - what gave you all these assumptions?

Looking at EE - I see one test in MO that is open for entry. There are 32 dogs registered for a 60 dog test.