The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Excellent, well thought out post!

Our club, Bryan-College Station Retriever Club, was planning to again offer our test as unlimited this spring, when we were alertedto the fact that a conflicting test in Louisiana had to cancel due to losing their grounds. This, on top of the fact that we have lost 5 active members to death in the past year and a half, was setting us up for "The Perfect Storm" in the hunt test world. We usually run 3 big master flights as well as big Junior and Senior flights as well and feel confident about handling big numbers since we hire Aggie Corps members to work as bird technicians, but with fewer members to fill the key management rolls plus no conflicting event, we chose to set up for our 3 masters, 2 senior flights and junior on both days. Test is first weekend in March.

We opened on a Friday Morning and had filled all 3 Master flights by Sunday afternoon.

We need people who play the game to be active in helping to put the events on. If a Pro is running a truck load of dogs for his/her clients, they do not gave time to help, I think they should encourage their clients to step up and get involved. Without volunteers the game collapses and we are beginning to see this happening.

We are losing active people, not seeing replacements in sufficient numbers. Our judges are being overworked and new judges are not being made.

What is the answer? I don't know but if you want the game to continue, whether you have a pro train and run your dog or not......you need to get actively involved with a club AND volunteer to help at every event to go to.
    That's exactly right. Participation by members is key albeit in general not just the issue at hand. In other words: "Your contribution to your club is not showing up to run your dog".
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post

We need people who play the game to be active in helping to put the events on. If a Pro is running a truck load of dogs for his/her clients, they do not gave time to help, I think they should encourage their clients to step up and get involved. Without volunteers the game collapses and we are beginning to see this happening.

We are losing active people, not seeing replacements in sufficient numbers. Our judges are being overworked and new judges are not being made.

What is the answer? I don't know but if you want the game to continue, whether you have a pro train and run your dog or not......you need to get actively involved with a club AND volunteer to help at every event you go to.

Vicki, good to see you and Dave at the Avery Farmer/Trott seminar. These words are true for Field Trials, too.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Thank you, Ted, it was great seeing you again, too.

You are right, the problems we are seeing are facing both sports.

Some people complain that pros don't help out at the tests, but they can help clubs by getting their clients to help and by offering training days on their properties from time to time. Giving of their time in that way helps the clubs to build stronger members and a bigger membership base.

People think that they can't help out at a test because they don't know enough....but none of the jobs at the tests are rocket science. It just takes someone who is willing to take charge of a small part of the event.

Just as we all ask that if you see trash on the ground pick it up, if you see someone who needs help, jump in and offer. If you see something that needs to be carried out into the field, don't just stand there, offer to help. If someone asks for a volunteer to throw birds or shoot and gun. Step up and help.

It is the only way we can get things done.

Those who have been organizing and running the tests for years are getting tired. We want to continue to enjoy the games for years to come, but watching it crumble under it's own weight while people stand in the gallery and complain after the event is over is heartbreaking.

If anyone cares about keeping this venue of spending time playing with our dogs, please make it a point to step up and volunteer at events in your area.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 02-03-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

And sometimes the Pro's clients are not helping out at THAT hunt test.. but are assisting at Hunt tests in Other regions.... I recently inquired about assisting 2 Clubs with their tests.. tests that my dog will not be at, and that i will not benefit from.. Because I know that help is needed, and I cant be down in Texas to assist the clubs sponsoring the tests my dog is running at!
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Thank you! Hope your spirit catches on!!!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Tim - I don't follow?
    Makes sense to me, at least about the restrictive part.

If I can't have a test the same weekend as another club within 200 miles air miles, if that test is restricted entry, (say to 60 dogs) then that distance should be reduced so another club could have a test that weekend. At the same time we are filling up Master slots in the area, ALL of the possible weekends are full (meaning that there is a test within 200 miles every weekend, not that all the tests are full) for the most part between mid March and the end of May.

So, if we have more demand than we can fill, why not allow more tests? It makes sense to me that if you limit to 60 dogs, the air mileage restriction for your test be halved as well. In order to make that work, your test would need to be planned with the limit well in advance. And, it wouldn't be automatic that you could open it back up to unlimited for the same weekend because you might have another test going on inside the 200 miles.

How much of the limiting is done due to available help, and how much is due to available grounds?
    Last edited by Jerry Beil; 02-03-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarification
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    How much of the limiting is done due to available help, and how much is due to available grounds?
    In my experience, 100% is because of available grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    In my experience, 100% is because of available grounds.
    Mostly true, but when you get up to 3-4 MH stakes, help becomes an issue, especially if your holding JH & SH, the logistics on a 3-4 split master are a nightmare in themselves even if you've got enough ground to accommodate it. Limiting ensures the club knows how many stakes it will have to manage, months in advance; plans can be made. No limit and have to split 2-3 times, with less than a week to accommodate; chaos ensues. Once you've had that happen you limit your test; available grounds or not. Ex; had one club go from ~56 dogs multiple years to 124 the next, the club was prepared for a possible single split; not prepared for a triple split, and of course most of the extra entries came in right before close.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-03-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    Makes sense to me, at least about the restrictive part.

If I can't have a test the same weekend as another club within 200 miles air miles, if that test is restricted entry, (say to 60 dogs) then that distance should be reduced so another club could have a test that weekend. At the same time we are filling up Master slots in the area, ALL of the possible weekends are full (meaning that there is a test within 200 miles every weekend, not that all the tests are full) for the most part between mid March and the end of May.

So, if we have more demand than we can fill, why not allow more tests? It makes sense to me that if you limit to 60 dogs, the air mileage restriction for your test be halved as well. In order to make that work, your test would need to be planned with the limit well in advance. And, it wouldn't be automatic that you could open it back up to unlimited for the same weekend because you might have another test going on inside the 200 miles.

Having to publish the limited 1 year in advance would give other clubs adequate time to plan a competing event that weekend.
    Grounds are the biggest factor in many parts of the country. The days of multiple master flights in a HTs are ending and the 4 stake FT is not far behind. Clubs will need options and one size will not fit all.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Mostly true, but when you get up to 3-4 MH stakes, help becomes an issue, especially if your holding JH & SH, the logistics on a 3-4 split master are a nightmare in themselves even if you've got enough ground to accommodate it. Limiting ensure the club knows how many stakes it will have to manage, months in advance; plans can be made. No limit and have to split 2-3 times, with less than a week to accommodate; chaos ensues. Once you've had that happen you limit your test; available grounds or not. Ex; had one club go from ~56 dogs one year to 121 the next, the club was prepared for a possible single split; not prepared for a triple split, and of course most of the 120+ entries came in right before close.
    Of course you are right. I was thinking in sort of a 'normal' situation. In the 'old days' before the limits, most clubs would set up two sets of MH judges have one in reserve, in case they were needed, perhaps. Then came two MNs in a row that were pretty close and clubs saw double the entries and chaos did ensue--last minute bird orders, more judges, securing more grounds, etc.

Thinking about it a little more, I would say if the limit is 60 dogs, it is probably almost entirely a grounds issue. There are not enough grounds to hold two MH stakes. If it is 120, it could be either or a little of both.

Regardless, it is almost always a defensive move by the club--a way to protect against possible chaos. I know of only one instance since the limits came out where the limit was lower than the club typically handled. Most clubs want as many entries as they can handle, but want to avoid the unpleasant surprises.