The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    Makes sense to me, at least about the restrictive part.

If I can't have a test the same weekend as another club within 200 miles air miles, if that test is restricted entry, (say to 60 dogs) then that distance should be reduced so another club could have a test that weekend. At the same time we are filling up Master slots in the area, ALL of the possible weekends are full (meaning that there is a test within 200 miles every weekend, not that all the tests are full) for the most part between mid March and the end of May.

So, if we have more demand than we can fill, why not allow more tests? It makes sense to me that if you limit to 60 dogs, the air mileage restriction for your test be halved as well. In order to make that work, your test would need to be planned with the limit well in advance. And, it wouldn't be automatic that you could open it back up to unlimited for the same weekend because you might have another test going on inside the 200 miles.

How much of the limiting is done due to available help, and how much is due to available grounds?
    Now I understand! I didn't disagree I just didn't understand the post.

1 year out sounds reasonable to declare a limit for a specific test. I don't know if listing it is, I don't see many 1 year forecasted tests on EE. Do you? So maybe that's a change a club and EE need to work out. Certainly you won't be listing judges that far out in most cases or premium details.

BUT...just because I declare a limited entry doesn't mean another club will that's also within 200 miles of the club seeking a date change to coincide with mine.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Help IS an issue. You need a stake captain at each stake that supervises the bird technicians, you need flyer gunners, and you need a marshal at each stake.... say 4 people at each stake in addition to the paid help.. say you have 3 master stakes plus junior and senior.. that is 20 people in addition to the secretary, food person, etc..... that is a problem for our club... and as more amateurs are crowded out, it is becoming a bigger problem every year.

I think that's probably reasonable to reduce the no compete range if a club limits the entries to 60, but it would be a management nightmare.

What happens when:

Club A has a test the first weekend of April. They limit to 60
    Club B decides to also have a test that weekend and they are within 200 miles. They decide not to limit.

What happens next year when Club A wants to remove the limit? Can Club B still have their test that weekend? Or would Club B be able to block Club A from removing the limit or even having the test at all?

To do it, the limiting club would probably have to give up their hold on that weekend for future years if someone else wanted it. I suppose that's fair too since it makes room for clubs that are able to get the help and the grounds to put on an unlimited test (or a less limited test). If all the clubs limit entries, that drives down overall participation, which doesn't seem like that's good for anyone.

Since our 2 biggest issues are grounds and help, how do we address those in order that clubs don't have to limit entries?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    Limiman, while to some that may look like it would work... What about those of us with young dogs with a pro.... their first couple Master Tests? The trainer is going to have to get the dogs that he is qualifying to MN's in first.. but those of us waiting to run a Master test the first few times might not be able to get in.

Honestly.. Im not opposed to (GASP) increasing the entry fee to help clubs be able to afford to do this.. if costs of the Judges/help is the issue.. then that needs to be addressed.

This is a growing sport... and those of us without the ability/time/or background to train a Master level dog... or just plain like the results our trainer provides... these individuals should not be penalized. Start making it seem to be unfair for those with young dogs, and this sport will not see the growth.

Limiting pros isnt the answer. I dont know what is.

In rodeo, we have a pre-set and advertised opening for a rodeo. It might be Thursday at 2pm.... This seems to give folks the best chance.. If they NEED in, they make time in their schedule to be at a computer or on the phone to Pro-Com to get entered. Its a rush and quite hectic.. but everyone knows.

you can enter and run the dog yourself.... if the event opens up the pro can run it.....

or, that is between you and your pro...... why should I not get to run my dog because your pro got a tip as to when the entry would open?

I am not against the pros, but the sport has to stay open for amateurs. if amateurs get burnt out from working all day in some cases taking time off work and cant run their dogs the sport wont last.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

That is out of the question.. We are in Colorado, The Trainer, Dog and Tests are in Texas.

My Pro found out about the College Station Test opening at 11pm Friday night (his time) It was nearly full.(It had opened that morning).. Id have a hard time thinking he got a tip...

AGAIN... that is why I think we should have publicized OPENING times... Everyone has a fair shot... Sure they will fill up FAST... and you may get one dog in only to have it fill before the next.. but that sure seems more logical than this insanity of checking EE so often..... and just hoping you catch one open.
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    Since our 2 biggest issues are grounds and help, how do we address those in order that clubs don't have to limit entries?
    Think only individual clubs can address that.

HNTFSH,

You have made quite a few posts on this thread. What is your name? To which club do you belong?

Damon Sweep

What does that have to do with posting on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    What does that have to do with posting on this thread?
    Trouble with the pelt police?

I am beginning to wonder that the source of contention is not between the pro and the amateur but between those dogs that need to qualify each year for the MN and those which just want to get their MH title. Not taking a position but just asking the question.