The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 158 of 158

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

  1. #151
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    13 of 15 MH tests open on EE through April still have master slots.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  2. #152
    Senior Member Lady Duck Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I am beginning to wonder that the source of contention is not between the pro and the amateur but between those dogs that need to qualify each year for the MN and those which just want to get their MH title. Not taking a position but just asking the question.
    And now with the new title opportunities of MH12 and up, there is even more incentive to crowd the master tests.

    Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

    For years AKC resisted adding the MNH title to their recognized titles. The hunt tests were popular yet manageable. Here we are just a few years after the big announcement of the additional titles.....MNH, MNH4, etc.....and suddenly our master entries are out of control and the clubs began asking for the option of limiting. That was granted and now there are complaints about not being able to get in.

    There was a request for additional official recognition of MHs who may or may not want to travel to The Master National each year. AKC listened so now you can get a get an MH12 or as high a number number as you and your dog can complete successfully....thus further increasing the demand for those now limited Master Hunter test slots each week.

    Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 02-04-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

    The Lady

  3. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, GA
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    13 of 15 MH tests open on EE through April still have master slots.
    It could very well be a regional thing, who knows. There are also some that have filled in a matter of hours.

    I guess it isn't an issue until you (not you HTF) are the one that doesn't get in.
    Tom Dorroh

  4. #154
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    It could very well be a regional thing, who knows. There are also some that have filled in a matter of hours.

    I guess it isn't an issue until you (not you HTF) are the one that doesn't get in.
    Oh I definitely think it's regional and somewhat seasonal - agreed. Great for some clubs budgets too. And yes, I feel for those not getting entered albeit some experience that by their own accord.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  5. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    I was the hunt test secretary for the Kansas city retriever club, our hunt test fill up with 60 master dogs in a few hours. When you put your hunt test on entry express, entry express will submit your judges to akc and akc approves your judges. Entry express puts your hunt test on to enter. It is hard to know when process will take place and your test will finalizes.
    Two pros had 24 dogs each. I was unable to get my dog entered before it filled up in a couple of hours. Pros can enter too many dogs and scratch dogs before the test closes and replace the dog with another one or one of there friends dogs. We also only have about 5 people to work our test. Also there were no ams to help shoot birds.

    Thanks David Wolfe
    I don't comment much, but I have followed this thread and want to point out that what I bolded from this comment this is not necessarily true. When you create/edit an event in EE, you have the option to either allow EE to handle your event application and pay the fee to AKC (which gives you limited control), OR you can do the work yourself including the AKC application/fee. This gives your club the control and you can finalize the event and open it for entries on your time table. In my opinion, there is no reason a club member should not be able to run in their own club's test...what's the point of putting one on if you can't run. Tell your club that you are going to open the test tomorrow night at 11 pm to give them first shot. If word leaks out to give those outside of your club an advantage, well then that's where an ethical/fairness issue may come into play.

  6. #156
    Senior Member limiman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Red Oak Iowa
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I am beginning to wonder that the source of contention is not between the pro and the amateur but between those dogs that need to qualify each year for the MN and those which just want to get their MH title. Not taking a position but just asking the question.
    I think that causes the issue. and since a high percentage of the dogs trying to qualify for MN each year are being run by pros.....

    HT's were originally set up in order to give the "every day joe" a chance to run against a standard with his dogs. it was understood that FTs were dominated by pros, HTs were supposed to be for the Ametures...... I do not begrudge the pros making a living doing what they are doing, but I hate to see ametures getting pushed out. I lost 3 chances to run my dog last year with in a 2.5 hour drive because I couldn't sit at the computer all day watching. Those three were filed by 2-3 pros and members of the home club, in one case I was told only the officers of the club even got there dogs in.... How is that building the sport? Its not, and it will lead to the decline. I have as a matter of convenience had a friend that is a part time pro to run my dog when there are tests near him and not me, but I cant understand never running my own dog.... and maybe that is the biggest part of my issue with pros running dogs for clients all the time. Put some big boy undies on and step to the line. Then your pros limit would not effect you.

    What chaps me even more then is ending the summer one pass shy of MH..... pretty sure we would have passed one of the three.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

    GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

  7. #157
    Senior Member FOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    9,136

    Default

    We are a club that was very glad to see the limit option available - we have limited grounds and limited help, but we want to put on a HT because we feel obligated to since our members participate in others around the area.

    Last year was one of the largest entries we had and the HT made money for a change (thank God because our FT lost). However we did have a scratch by a Pro that hurt us a little, fortunately all our club members who wanted to enter were able too, however our club depends on the support and help from others around the area who enter our test and lend a hand when we are maxed out with things to get done...I did not hear of anyone not being able to enter who wanted to, but I wonder if there weren't a few who didn't get to - I also believe we got hit with the max number of entries because of how close the MN was.

    It will be interesting to see what our numbers will be this year. And our plan is to send out an email to club members a couple days prior to when I'll be opening the premium for entries, plus I will open them in the evening so members will be at home and able to enter...this is about the only way we can ensure our members get a little bit of notice before the "general public" - got to look out for my worker bees.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

    Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

  8. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    I think that causes the issue. and since a high percentage of the dogs trying to qualify for MN each year are being run by pros.....

    HT's were originally set up in order to give the "every day joe" a chance to run against a standard with his dogs. it was understood that FTs were dominated by pros, HTs were supposed to be for the Ametures...... I do not begrudge the pros making a living doing what they are doing, but I hate to see ametures getting pushed out. I lost 3 chances to run my dog last year with in a 2.5 hour drive because I couldn't sit at the computer all day watching. Those three were filed by 2-3 pros and members of the home club, in one case I was told only the officers of the club even got there dogs in.... How is that building the sport? Its not, and it will lead to the decline. I have as a matter of convenience had a friend that is a part time pro to run my dog when there are tests near him and not me, but I cant understand never running my own dog.... and maybe that is the biggest part of my issue with pros running dogs for clients all the time. Put some big boy undies on and step to the line. Then your pros limit would not effect you.

    What chaps me even more then is ending the summer one pass shy of MH..... pretty sure we would have passed one of the three.
    I firmly believe that the pros contribute greatly to the club. At the same time, there would be no club were it not for the amateurs and volunteers who also contribute greatly. Maybe it is time to stop blaming one group or another, it is time to try to reach a solution that is beneficial to all. I can imagine a pro telling a client that his(her) dog will be left behind because another has priority. Certainly pros are limited as to how much they can help at a test. Can one expect amateurs to volunteer time and again even if they cannot run their dogs? It is a fact that all clubs are limited as to the number of dogs at a HT by either the number of volunteers or the availability of grounds.

    I have wondered if it would be possible to have 4 regional qualifying tests maybe twice a year held at a club in the 4 regions on the same weekend as a qualifying event for the MN. It would take a club with sufficient grounds and access to volunteers to handle the number of dogs that would enter. Could something like this or something else relieve the competition between those who seek the title of MH and those that wish to qualify for the MN? There are a lot of members here with more experience and intelligence than I that might come up with a workable idea that might work for both the amateurs and the pros. That is what I would like to see.

    Would it not be more productive to try to hash out a solution rather than to place blame? Change is never easy but change is how you grow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •