The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Well If they don't allow limited dog per handler, the only way many clubs will keep functioning is too lose MN affiliation, (helpers will not keep volunteering at tests where they can't run their own dog). MN looses too many affiliations; that people can't qualify for the MN; perhaps they do something about it. Of course you might be putting a hindrance on your club members who might actually want to take their dogs to the MN, so I guess it will depend on the make up of your club, if most have MN as the years goal keep MN, if most just want to run their dog loose it. Might be an issue when those club members that want the MN can't get in their own test, still It is a club member on the board that finally Finalizes the test, so phone call and e-mails could go out to members on when that might be .

Other Idea why not truly commercialize HT's? Hire workers figure 90 dog @ ($80) = $7200, run a double masters = 14,400 this is without JH or SH entries. Master stake = 3 stations usually 4-5 helper including live gunners ($100-200) A DAY = 500-$1000, leaving $6000 to play with. I've never had anything close to $6000 to play with yet the tests still get done, the club can pay it's bills, sometimes might even make a bit.

Then You don't need club members to come help, you just need an organizer and you don't care who run which dogs; Of course this might against spirit of having a club and comradery thing. But where does that really come in when your after qualifications and titles
    We do hire bird boys. I WISH the math was that simple. The numbers NEVER work out that way.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    I was unable to get my dog entered, so I worked without running a dog.
    This is very noble, a true club member (puts the needs of the group above their own); But question for the whole group; How many tests, How many Sat & Sun are you gonna give up to volunteer and not even get to run your dog? Clubs are give and take organizations; but it is an exchange; one can only give for so long..before you get burned out..this is true even when you get the benefit of running your dog. To keep helping at a few tests and never run, one might be thinking of changing hobbies .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Other expenses: catalogs, ribbons, placement awards, birds (huge expense), permits, port-a-lets, food/ice/water/drinks, AKC fees, judge's hotels, judge's meals, judge's travel expenses, entry refunds. I may have missed a few but you get the idea. It's nowhere near as easy as stated in the above post.

Beats me why nobody bit on the research provided that just ahead of a MN only 5 out of 19 Master tests were full and ALL of those 5 had 60 dog limits. Likely club size or lack of grounds. I know we can't host as a large a Fall Test as Spring due to lack of water.

Also relates to location of the MN. This seems a regional/seasonal issue.

You get a 300+ dog test you can afford to hire workers, if you can find them. 100 dog test, probably not. Club workers is an issue most places, plenty don't want to be committed all day to a stake and daily logistics between stakes to run your own dog(s) is nightmarish.

We generally don't make much money on a homegrown smaller test. And as tests are the annual revenue, a big test must exist to stay healthy. Bring on the Pro's.

If a club wants to give folks a heads-up on entry openings, more power to them.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I don't know about anyone else but I sure have never had a problem, even in limited entries, getting my dogs in a test. I fail to see the concern except maybe for those that are in a hurry to do something else on a weekend.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Other expenses: catalogs, ribbons, placement awards, birds (huge expense), permits, port-a-lets, food/ice/water/drinks, AKC fees, judge's hotels, judge's meals, judge's travel expenses, entry refunds. I may have missed a few but you get the idea. It's nowhere near as easy as stated in the above post.
    Correctamundo!

About pros entering dogs - i am sure some enter clients dogs as their is never just 1 way. I stated i didnt know any pros that entered client dogs on a regular basis

Folks the MNRC did not have anything to do with this limited entry business to my knowledge.
    The Hunt Test advisory committee made up of our peers made a recommendation to the AKC.
    As i recall the Rhtac committee got the idea from the clubs. To my knowledge our club was petitioned for an opinion but the rhtac didnt act in the dark
    Ask them
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I sure have never had a problem, even in limited entries, getting my dogs in a test. I fail to see the concern except maybe for those that are in a hurry to do something else on a weekend.
    It's never a problem with Junior or Senior. It's only with Master, and only with clubs that are MN members.

You've got it backwards. It's only a concern when you are trying to run a particular test on a particular weekend for example a local club. If you are in a hurry to do something else, then you do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    It's never a problem with Junior or Senior. It's only with Master, and only with clubs that are MN members.

You've got it backwards. It's only a concern when you are trying to run a particular test on a particular weekend for example a local club. If you are in a hurry to do something else, then you do something else.
    The club hope that a truck full of pro MN dogs will include a bunch or JH/SH dogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    This is very noble, a true club member (puts the needs of the group above their own); But question for the whole group; How many tests, How many Sat & Sun are you gonna give up to volunteer and not even get to run your dog? Clubs are give and take organizations; but it is an exchange; one can only give for so long..before you get burned out..this is true even when you get the benefit of running your dog. To keep helping at a few tests and never run, one might be thinking of changing hobbies .
    It is true. I think the real question is what is the reason for the club and what does it offer its members. Why are you having HTs? Are they so your members can run their dogs? For some other reason?

If a club's value proposition is "send us $25 bucks and you can work your butt off 2-4 weekends a year" you are not going to be able to keep good members regardless. I know there are those clubs that exist only to put on a couple of events per year but they usually have a very small number of incredibly dedicated folks working like crazy just to give back to the sport. It is not something that is going to attract the casual folks.

I am a fan of the limits. Some clubs just don't have the grounds to split MH stakes, but would like to raise a little more $. Not being a member of the MNRC is an interesting option as well. But in the end if a club is just throwing HTs or FTs and not offering much else to its members, it is not going to have a lot of good ones. I think that if a club is alienating its members because they can't run their dogs at the club's events, there are probably bigger issues.